[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Short bench (4)

ppr league start 1 QB, 1 rb, 2 flex (rb/wr) 1 te, 1 k, 1 def

With such a short bench, (we keep it that way to encourage all the members to use the wire)

What positions do I need to target for those four positions or does it not really matter? B/c the wire should still have plenty of good players?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

round

1 RB

2 RB or QB

3 QB or RB (whichever you didn't take in 2... unless TEs are leaving the board. It's important to secure one stud TE)

4 TE (unless you took him in 3, then QB/RB)

5 RB... unless WR is BPA

6 DEF

7 RB... unless WR is BPA

8 K

9 RB... unless WR is BPA

10 RB... unless WR is BPA

11 RB... unless WR is BPA

Get one each of the top tier in QB, TE, DEF, K... then nothing but RBs, if you can swing it. If you're lucky, your QB, TE, DEF, and K will all have the same bye. Lose that one game happily and be stacked for the playoffs. Like if you could get QB Rodgers, TE Finley, GB DEF and K Crosby, you'd be set for a good playoff run if you can nail the RB position.

Also, aggressively try to upgrade your RB2... trade the two good RBs in, say, week 3 or 4 after they've had good games for a for an improvement at RB. Say you got Ray Rice in round one and a couple of good RBs later, like Knowshon Moreno and Shonn Greene and they have good starts, but the Gore owner would rather have those two, kapow!

Thanks! Great advice! But one question. Why so long a wait on the wr in a ppr?

Am I reading the OP right, no required WRs?

If so, Opie has solid advice, focus on getting a top QB, R B and TE, then based on your projections for the upcoming year, go highest projected points between) and WR the rest of the way.

I wait on kicker and just play matchp roulette until you find one to stick with, but I don't waste an earlier pick on one.

You can take a shot at one of the higher ranked Ds in the latter part of the middle of your draft, or do the same as with kickers, just draft one late and play matchups with the waiver wire until you find one worth sticking with.

If there are WRs required, adjustments will need to be made to the advice on the positional picks strategy

Edited by Big Country

Am I reading the OP right, no required WRs?

If so, Opie has solid advice, focus on getting a top QB, R B and TE, then based on your projections for the upcoming year, go highest projected points between) and WR the rest of the way.

I wait on kicker and just play matchp roulette until you find one to stick with, but I don't waste an earlier pick on one.

You can take a shot at one of the higher ranked Ds in the latter part of the middle of your draft, or do the same as with kickers, just draft one late and play matchups with the waiver wire until you find one worth sticking with.

If there are WRs required, adjustments will need to be made to the advice on the positional picks strategy

No. I actually made a mistake. We require 2 WR's. My bad.

Given the new information, I probably target a bench of 2 RBs and 2 WRs given that it is only a 10 team league, there will be a viable QB available for bye week coverage, and the same goes for TE, K and D. With 5 starters at RB/WR combined, that is the only real position where you need to carry depth.

Then there are two strategies to employ. Either target the same bye week for your primary QB, TE, K and D and take the hit point wise that week, so that you can keep the extra depth at RB and WR, or, be sure to have no shared bye week with your primary QB, TE, K and D, and utilize one of your bench spots as the revolving bye week filler for those positions. You then just have to make sure you never have more than 3 of your RBs and WRs with the same bye week.

The first strategy keeps you at full strength (assuming you do a good job in the draft) for all but one week (other than your RB/WR bye week coverage), the second is more standard practice with deeper benches, you just rotate the depth with the one bench spot covering 4 positions.

Given the new information, I probably target a bench of 2 RBs and 2 WRs given that it is only a 10 team league, there will be a viable QB available for bye week coverage, and the same goes for TE, K and D. With 5 starters at RB/WR combined, that is the only real position where you need to carry depth.

Then there are two strategies to employ. Either target the same bye week for your primary QB, TE, K and D and take the hit point wise that week, so that you can keep the extra depth at RB and WR, or, be sure to have no shared bye week with your primary QB, TE, K and D, and utilize one of your bench spots as the revolving bye week filler for those positions. You then just have to make sure you never have more than 3 of your RBs and WRs with the same bye week.

The first strategy keeps you at full strength (assuming you do a good job in the draft) for all but one week (other than your RB/WR bye week coverage), the second is more standard practice with deeper benches, you just rotate the depth with the one bench spot covering 4 positions.

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I like the ideas.