[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I was contemplating something

SEC=UGA

I was talking to one of my sales guys this AM. His son is headed to Guatemala to do some mission work, they are building homes and a church for the Guatemalans in some village.

That's when it hit me. His son is going down there to do free work. I have to Guatamalan Nationals on my payroll, we pay them pretty well, about 18 per hour.

So, here is what I've been contemplating: Why is it that we send our kids to these countries to do free labor with building materials that their church paid for, while conversely many people from these nations come here to build stuff and we pay them an hourly wage? I mean, what if, instead of us going down there to build stuff for free we just sent money down there for them to hire labor, wouldn't that enable the construction workers here, that hail from those countries, to stay at home and do their own freaking building projects and thus allowing American workers to do the jobs here?

I was talking to one of my sales guys this AM. His son is headed to Guatemala to do some mission work, they are building homes and a church for the Guatemalans in some village.

That's when it hit me. His son is going down there to do free work. I have to Guatamalan Nationals on my payroll, we pay them pretty well, about 18 per hour.

So, here is what I've been contemplating: Why is it that we send our kids to these countries to do free labor with building materials that their church paid for, while conversely many people from these nations come here to build stuff and we pay them an hourly wage? I mean, what if, instead of us going down there to build stuff for free we just sent money down there for them to hire labor, wouldn't that enable the construction workers here, that hail from those countries, to stay at home and do their own freaking building projects and thus allowing American workers to do the jobs here?

How would we then spread the word of god?

By threatening to kill them if they don't convert like we used to?

I just about choked on my foot long subway BMT

I mean, what if, instead of us going down there to build stuff for free we just sent money down there for them to hire labor, wouldn't that enable the construction workers here, that hail from those countries, to stay at home and do their own freaking building projects and thus allowing American workers to do the jobs here?

probably because it will just end up in some connected dude's pocket.

I dunno, I guess I'd just as soon NOT look for reasons to belittle someone else's effort to do a good deed. :wacko:

probably because it will just end up in some connected dude's pocket.

I dunno, I guess I'd just as soon NOT look for reasons to belittle someone else's effort to do a good deed. :wacko:

Is it really a good deed, though? It's kind of like what is going on in Haiti right now. We have sent so many relief supplies, free food, clothes, etc... That the entrepreneurs who owned stores and sold this stuff are now unable to reopen and sell stuff vecause everybody has all of the free food and clothes that they need... Since we are building homes and buildings for these people for free, are we actually putting locals out of work and thereby depriving them of much needed income?

Is it really a good deed, though? It's kind of like what is going on in Haiti right now. We have sent so many relief supplies, free food, clothes, etc... That the entrepreneurs who owned stores and sold this stuff are now unable to reopen and sell stuff vecause everybody has all of the free food and clothes that they need... Since we are building homes and buildings for these people for free, are we actually putting locals out of work and thereby depriving them of much needed income?

well, there is certainly potential for that sort of thing, I suppose. but in general, I think it is safe to say that local economies function better for all when the people aren't dying in the streets from disease.