[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning's value in dynasty salary cap

bremo

I have the option to acquire Peyton Manning for Kevin Kolb and Jerome Harrison (plus flotsam). The league: 20 teams, $16M salary cap, IDP dynasty league. Performance league, no PPR. Manning has a $3.5M salary, while Kolb and Harrison combine for $900k.

I have ample cap space, though taking on such a chunk would eat into how aggressive I can go after IDP (where I'm thin). I have Mendenhall at RB and we only start one (no flex), so Harrison is a backup lottery ticket. Manning's salary is maxed out; Kolb and Harrison could be kept in perpetuity with 30% annual raises. I have Leinart as a backup QB already for cheap in either case.

The obvious enticement on Manning is a top 3 player at his position, but the salary cap hit is huge. Kolb is a popular pick to be top 10 this year, and he's at a reasonable salary for 4-5 years at his price if he comes through. Before this trade was an option, I was comfortable with Kolb and Leinart and their upside, but I'm tempted to go with the stud QB and roll the dice on IDP... just not tempted enough to immediately pull the trigger.

Any advice or thoughts?

What is the IDP scoring system? Acquiring Peyton and his huge salary cap hit could cripple your chances at building a solid team. Championships are often won with a solid roster, top to bottom. Kolb is a very solid QB option with a low salary cap as you have stated. Having the extra 2.6million to spend on a few upside IDP LB's is really the only way to go. Look into getting guys like Ellerbe,Timmons etc etc etc.

Thanks for the response. I do have Ruud ($975k) at LB and could keep Harper ($750k) at DB. Start 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB. We can only keep 10 total.

Scoring:

Defensive TD 4 points

Fumble Recoveries 2 points

Forced Fumbles 2 points

Interceptions 4 points

Passes Defensed 1 point

Tackles 1 point

Assists 0.5 points

Sacks 3 points

What are your top scoring IDP and where did they finish respectfully last year, compared to the other offensive positions. Just trying to find out how much your IDP's are worth in respect to other positions.

Out of the top 100, 25 were IDP. Of those 25, likely only 5-6 will be available as free agents. Top performer was Willis at #21 overall. He had 174 pts; CJohnson had 296 pts at #1. Manning was #8 at 210 pts.

Point differential is the key.

If you think Peyton will outscore Kold or leinart by enough to make up the difference in what you will likely lose at multiple IDP positions for the salary space, then you go for Peyton. If you think the point differential will not be as great as the difference between acquiring upgrades at multiple IDP (or other) positions, then you don't deal for Peyton.

I took the deal. No elite players will be available to bid on - just rookies and overpriced midlevel players. This goes for IDP too. I felt like I need to lock up the extra points gained here. Thanks for the input.