[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another reason most lawyers are scum of the earth

tazinib1

Got this e-mail yesterday:

Notice of Credit from Class Action Settlement

You are receiving this notice of credit because you booked a hotel stay through Expedia and paid “Tax Recovery Charges” or “Service Fees” during the period from January 10, 2001 through June 11, 2008. As part of the settlement, you are entitled to receive $8.76 in the form of an Expedia Coupon. The coupon has been deposited into your Expedia Account and is available for use on Expedia.com. You must book your travel by July 31, 2011 and complete travel by January 31, 2012. Your coupon expires when the total amount is used or on July 31, 2011, whichever is earlier. If you use your coupon to make a reservation, any remainder of the coupon will be available for your use until the earlier of (1) the date that the coupon expires or (2) such time as the total amount of the coupon is used. For further details and terms and conditions on the use of your coupon, please review the “My Expedia Coupon” Terms and Conditions below.

This coupon is valid on Expedia Special Rate (ESR) hotels, flight + ESR hotel packages, flight + ESR hotel + car packages, and ESR hotel + car packages.

Redeem your travel coupons (you must be signed in to redeem):

· Go to Expedia.com and sign in to your Expedia Account

· Choose an ESR hotel or vacation package

· Apply the “My Expedia Coupon”

· Book for travel by July 31, 2011

And then checked out the settlement information site:

The Final Approval hearing was held on December 1, 2009 before the Honorable Monica J. Benton, at King County Superior Court, Maleng Regional Justice Center, 401 Fourth Avenue North, Kent, WA 98032. At the hearing, the Settlement was approved as fair, reasonable and adequate and the Named Plaintiffs were approved to receive incentive awards in an amount of $7,500 each. The Court also approved the award of attorneys' fees and costs to Plaintiffs' counsel of $10 million and an Order of Final Judgment and Dismissal was entered. However, appeals were filed challenging aspects of the Final Approval Order. Those appeals have now been resolved. Expedia Settlement Credit notices and Cash Payments were distributed beginning in June, 2010. If you have not received your Expedia Settlement Credit notice by email or a Settlement check by early July, 2010, please contact the Claims Administrator.

:wacko:

Everyone hates lawyers until they need one. But debt collection lawyers, even among lawyers, are looked down on. There are actually a lot of lawyers who have devoted their lives to protecting people from consumer debt attorneys. That kind of work also accounts for a large portion of the volunteer legal work done by attorneys.

Everyone hates lawyers until they need one. But debt collection lawyers, even among lawyers, are looked down on. There are actually a lot of lawyers who have devoted their lives to protecting people from consumer debt attorneys. That kind of work also accounts for a large portion of the volunteer legal work done by attorneys.

The only reason most people need lawyers is to protect them from other peoples slimy lawyers.

Nice generalizations, fellas. Makes you look real intelligent. There are good and bad folks in all professions, but you never hear about the good ones do you? No one writes an article when an attorney does 100 hours of pro bono work a year for battered women, but some scum bag running a sh!t show gets an article.

That is incorrect.

Why does the average person need a lawyer in the course of their everyday life unless they want to sue someone or they are getting sued?

If you read my original post in this thread I didn't ask for my Expedia $8 voucher that paid the lawyers 10 million dollars. I do my own taxes, and most simple legal documents can be generated over the innernets.

Lawyers get themselves elected, then pass laws that ensure people need lawyers to maybe protect them from financial ruin if someone trips on their sidewalk.

I'm not arguing there are no honest, ethical lawyers, just the system is gamed to allow the slimeballs (see John Edwards) to reap the benefits of their dishonest labor.