[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jahvid Best or Ryan Matthews

Wpob

Amongst my off line friends, we all seem to be split on this issue. Some like the consistency Matthews will offer while others prefer the high ceiling Best offers. Also, the people in the Best camp point to his OL and stud WR as reasons for Best to succeed while Matthews lovers say Rivers is the better QB and Matthews has no competition.

So which is it - Team Matthews or Team Best and why?

I like Best, and think people are even higher on him after Chris Johnson and Rice showed us last year what some of these smaller speedy guys can do.

But I just can't say whether I think he'll end up being the better prospect then Matthews, because we haven't seen him take a snap yet, are much less sure about his role than Matthews (who Norv Turner has said plans to give him 250-300 carries and 40 catches, not to mention the goal-line back job), and he's coming off injury concerns with a smaller frame. Also, with the Lion's D in that division, Detroit will likely playing from behind alot in the foreseeable future, so his production will have to rely at least partly on his success in the passing game, and also on Stafford's success.

However, it's not like K. Smith is going to challenge him too much for the starting gig, so it's probably going to be his job to lose, and the Lions are really high on the homerun-hitting kid.

The Huddle article is definitely a good read for more insight on the two, but to me, Best at this point is still just high potential, whereas your exactly right about Matthews that he's the much safer bet right now (though probably with a much lower ceiling).

Edited by delusions of granduer

Short term I'd go with Matthews. The Lions are always near the bottom of the league in rushing attempts. Should continue to increase as the team gets better and isn't behind all game.

I see Best as a Bush type player and never really see him taking the role of an every-down back in his career. Just a wild guess though

Best does have an injured past, but he is the better RB if all are healthy. That being said, you have to look at the systems in place and what the players will be responsible for and expected to perform in. With Sproles in SD, Mathews has risk. Best may be expected to do more initially and be involved more initially b/c of Kevin Smith's injury. But will the Lions be throwing from behind in the scoreboard? Will they use Best in 3rd and long situations?

here is his second concussion from last year (he had 2 in 2 weeks last year) from several angles ...

Now, if Mathews doesn't fumble in camp he may become very useful near the goaline and with that system and responsibilty comes TDs. I would watch Mathews in camp and preseason and see where they expect him to be useful. If he performs well in the red-zone then he may start the season in a wider role with the offense and be in position to put up some fantasy numbers early in the season.

Pre-season ... to be continued.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

The concussions may be the deal breaker for me between Best and Matthews. The more the league is learning about concussions, the lasting effects of multiple concussions, and frequency leading to propensity, it gets me cold feet to draft number 1. But in my dynasty league I get 2.01, so maybe you take the risk with your #1 and then take another RB with 2.01. I doubt Tate or Hardesty would be there then, and I don't know who else would be left for the taking at 2.01 in a 12 league.