[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty trade

Dynasty league. I'm relatively strong at both the WR and RB positions. Shonn Green, Mendenhall, Cedric Benson and Forte. Wayne, A. Johnson, Welker, Mike Thomas and James Jones at WR.

I've been approached about trading Forte for Hakeem Nicks straight up. The only reason I'm considering it is that while great at WR now, I'm not particularly young there.

Thoughts?

I agree with you not being young at WR, I as a Giant Homer think that Nicks will replace SSmith as tthe #1 WR by next season. I am also not a hugh Forte guy , but in a Martz system a RB if he can catch and block can put up some monster numbers. Tough call but with Mendenhall an d S Greene I think you can afford to take the chance.

Although I agree that you could be getting a tad better value, I'm not sure why people are so sour on this trade.

First, both player's ADP/rankings tend to be pretty similar, and even by position they both rate around the 20th at their respective position on most lists.

Secondly, although Forte could bounce back, there are no guarantees that he even gets the vast majority of carries, nor can we be exactly sure what his Taylor's roles will be; So if I had to put my money on the one that will greatly exceed their ADP by years' end, I'd put my money on Nicks' upside.

Third, with Forte being your RB4, you can afford to give him up, and Nicks helps remove some of the risk of age and injuries (Welker) ahead of him at WR, and is a great young guy to groom as an eventual replacement for any of them.

Only downside here to me is that you roll with only 3 RBs on your roster (albeit good ones), so you will have to rely on Nicks/Welker for both byes and injuries, but IMO, I think his value to your team is greater than the value of keeping Forte as your RB4.

Edited by delusions of granduer

2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE and a flex. So, I can start only 3 WRs at most or 3 RBs at most. I'd much rather trade Benson for some young help at WR and will begin working that angle more vehemently.

If you can do this, then that might be just as good of a plan. With Benson potentially getting suspended, you could be in for a rough first 3-4 weeks if Welker isn't back ready and Nicks doesn't get off to a hot start.

ETA: In fact, now that I think about it, it could also sway my opinion that you wait until at least in-season to deal for a young WR.

Edited by delusions of granduer

I def don't do this deal without more compensation....

Steve Smith and his 107 catches isn't going to completely go away in NY and that definitely caps a little bit of Nicks' upside--not a whole lot, but some.

Forte has proven he can be a top 4 FF RB1 Stud... and he did it as a rookie. He had a little sophomore slump and I think that he has a major bounce back year. In a Martz offense he is going to flourish. They throw him jump balls in the endzone instead of looking to their receivers for goodness sakes...The guy is a great receiving back and that is going to make him huge this year.

Also, he is certainly not your RB4 on your team...he is ahead of Benson EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK..... despite Benson rushing for many more yards in a PPR format Forte outscored Benson by over 30 pts.... I try to sell high on Benson right now and keep Forte.... Adding Nicks to your already ridiculous WR's would certainly be great but don't do it at the expense of your RB's....With Wayne and AJ it doesn't matter who else you start alongside of them as a flex WR.

Package up Benson and something else for Nicks if you can.

I think a big key here is "Dynasty Leauge."

Sure, your top two WRs are older but WRs have a longer shelf life. Both Wayne and Johnson should be around at least another 4 - 5 years.

If this were last year and we were talking about Forte in a Martz offense, he would be ranked top 5 given his rookie year performance.

The dude has been around 60 receptions his 1st two years. Last year he was injured, offensive line stunk, new QB with very young WRs - bottom line, expectations were way to high LY for the Bears. It should be no surprise that Forte had the sophomore slump.

There is no doubt that Taylor will take away from Forte THIS YEAR. But we are talking Dynasty League. Taylor is 31 years old. Bringing in Taylor will actually help Forte in the long run as the Bears take another year to develop the chemistry between Cutler and his WRs, learn the complicated Martz playbook, and let Taylor mentor Forte while keeping him fresh.

I would expect Forte to show an improvement over LY just because he should get more than 4 TDs. I am banking on him to make his big come back next year.

Now - after all that. I have Forte on my dynasty team, I am a Bear fan, and so my opinion might be biased. I do like Nicks, especially if this were a non-ppr league (was that mentioned) - but I wouldn't deal straight up given this dynasty league.