[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You Tea Partiers are going to have a field day with this

detlef

Why do they make it so freaking hard to pay my sales tax?

I mean, they even make it so you can pay it on-line and yet they needlessly make it a hassle.

OK, so everyone pays a bases rate for the state and then an amount above and beyond that depending on your county or what type of business you run (again, depending on your county).

Now, technically, since we're using these super cool things called computers that are really good and if-then sequences, you'd think that all you'd need to do is enter what county you are in and whether or not you run one of the businesses that get additional taxes in certain counties. Then enter all the sales you had that were subject to sales tax and, viola, it tells you how much you owe. But no. It is up to you to navigate the maze of options and enter the sames taxable sales in all fields that apply to you. So you enter your sales in the state tax field. Then you enter your sales in the appropriate county rate field, then if applicable, you also enter it in the hospitality tax filed if, it turns out you're in a county that has one. There's like 20 or so different options of where you can enter your info and, thus, nearly 20 wrong places to enter it.

Then, just to remind you that you're using a site designed by an idiot, you have to write down the amount the computer says you owe for your county tax because, on the next page, you need to find your county and re-enter the tax owed (not the taxable amount) next to the county you're in. I have no idea at all why this part exists, unless it's just there to make sure you're paying attention for some reason.

Yes, I understand that you need to know what your sales tax rate is anyway because you need to know what to charge your customers. However, it's one thing to know what the rate is and another to know how that rate is broken down. And even if you write it down or something, it just annoys the hell out of me when someone sets up an intricate website that does essentially nothing more than simple math.

I have to wonder if someone brought it up in a meeting, "Why don't we just do the work for them and tell them what they owe us?" and got laughed out of the room.

"You forget we're the taxman! We are evil! We're not here to make anyone's life easier, we're here to remind people that owning a business sucks!"

And yes, it's bloody hot enough. Gonna reach 100 today and it's been in the mid 90s for like a month.

Why do they make it so freaking hard to pay my sales tax?

I mean, they even make it so you can pay it on-line and yet they needlessly make it a hassle.

OK, so everyone pays a bases rate for the state and then an amount above and beyond that depending on your county or what type of business you run (again, depending on your county).

Now, technically, since we're using these super cool things called computers that are really good and if-then sequences, you'd think that all you'd need to do is enter what county you are in and whether or not you run one of the businesses that get additional taxes in certain counties. Then enter all the sales you had that were subject to sales tax and, viola, it tells you how much you owe. But no. It is up to you to navigate the maze of options and enter the sames taxable sales in all fields that apply to you. So you enter your sales in the state tax field. Then you enter your sales in the appropriate county rate field, then if applicable, you also enter it in the hospitality tax filed if, it turns out you're in a county that has one. There's like 20 or so different options of where you can enter your info and, thus, nearly 20 wrong places to enter it.

Then, just to remind you that you're using a site designed by an idiot, you have to write down the amount the computer says you owe for your county tax because, on the next page, you need to find your county and re-enter the tax owed (not the taxable amount) next to the county you're in. I have no idea at all why this part exists, unless it's just there to make sure you're paying attention for some reason.

Yes, I understand that you need to know what your sales tax rate is anyway because you need to know what to charge your customers. However, it's one thing to know what the rate is and another to know how that rate is broken down. And even if you write it down or something, it just annoys the hell out of me when someone sets up an intricate website that does essentially nothing more than simple math.

I have to wonder if someone brought it up in a meeting, "Why don't we just do the work for them and tell them what they owe us?" and got laughed out of the room.

"You forget we're the taxman! We are evil! We're not here to make anyone's life easier, we're here to remind people that owning a business sucks!"

And yes, it's bloody hot enough. Gonna reach 100 today and it's been in the mid 90s for like a month.

We will eventually bring you over to the dark side, I can tell, your liberal facade is cracking bit by bit.

what are you, some kind of racist? I think you just need to accept the fact that the government knows how to make everything else run better and more efficiently :wacko:

Now let's not get carried away. Everyone loves to point to this and say, "See, now it's going be just as bad when the Govt controls health care!" As if big Insurance providers make it any easier right now.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to this: If whomever you're dealing with knows you don't have a choice as to whether you pay them or not, they have no reason to make it remotely convenient. Or, if, say they're an Insurance company and there's a chance they can wear you down through red tape and get away without paying out for something, they again have no reason to make it easy for you. Especially if none of them make it easy which means there's no benefit in taking your business elsewhere and it's not like you have any choice in the matter as to whether or not you have it.

That's another laughable argument. People getting up in arms about the gov't requiring you to insure yourself. The industry has already pretty much made it impossible to get by without insurance because you have to pay out the nose for stuff if you pay for it out of pocket. So what, exactly, is the difference? The reality that our system of private health care has evolved to a point where basically nobody can afford to not be insured or the government making sure everyone is insured?

In theory, there's many reasons why we don't want government controlling a bunch of things because it's basically a monopoly and monopolies treat you like crap. However, there's plenty privately owned services that act the same way because they're so damned big. And I don't really see how it would get much worse if the Gov't started providing those services instead.

Others, like booze, are a joke. That is absolutely something that needs to be private sector because there's no question it is handled better in states that set it up that way.

Now let's not get carried away. Everyone loves to point to this and say, "See, now it's going be just as bad when the Govt controls health care!" As if big Insurance providers make it any easier right now.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to this: If whomever you're dealing with knows you don't have a choice as to whether you pay them or not, they have no reason to make it remotely convenient. Or, if, say they're an Insurance company and there's a chance they can wear you down through red tape and get away without paying out for something, they again have no reason to make it easy for you. Especially if none of them make it easy which means there's no benefit in taking your business elsewhere and it's not like you have any choice in the matter as to whether or not you have it.

That's another laughable argument. People getting up in arms about the gov't requiring you to insure yourself. The industry has already pretty much made it impossible to get by without insurance because you have to pay out the nose for stuff if you pay for it out of pocket. So what, exactly, is the difference? The reality that our system of private health care has evolved to a point where basically nobody can afford to not be insured or the government making sure everyone is insured?

In theory, there's many reasons why we don't want government controlling a bunch of things because it's basically a monopoly and monopolies treat you like crap. However, there's plenty privately owned services that act the same way because they're so damned big. And I don't really see how it would get much worse if the Gov't started providing those services instead.

Others, like booze, are a joke. That is absolutely something that needs to be private sector because there's no question it is handled better in states that set it up that way.

You're fighting the conversion too hard... Come on, just settle down, just let me put the tip in, it only hurts for a second...