[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A thread for us 401k people that don't know the markets per se

Cunning Runt

On the fact that we are in a deflationary depression. Cash will be king in this environment. When defaults are abundant, people won't care about gold or silver, they will want cash.

certain areas (like the one seen in Michigan recently) are starting a bartering system where gold/silver has been mostly used...

and yes, we're in a deflationary depression...but inflation will follow it..

you can't print trillions and not have massive inflation...

Edited by Avernus

certain areas (like the one seen in Michigan recently) are starting a bartering system where gold/silver has been mostly used...

and yes, we're in a deflationary depression...but inflation will follow it..

you can't print trillions and not have massive inflation...

You can't print and print but if the banks aren't lending the money, no inflation right?

You can't print and print but if the banks aren't lending the money, no inflation right?

I'm not so sure that money that is lent would be printed necessarily....it's just more numbers created out of debt...

this leads to the point that if everyone wanted to cash out whatever money they have in the bank, probably more than half the people would not get their money...ala Bank Run...

money created out of debt and not even printed is where one of the many problems lie..

I pulled it all out on the day of the flash crash. Was going to pull it out the day before but didn't push the button. So all in money market at the moment (and a loan taken out to help purchase a home). The market (DOW) is about where it was when I pulled over to the sidelines. I'm basically flat on the year. I've been watching it go up and down and I too think we're in for a pretty large drop, though the past gains have made me rethink that a bit.

I'm just trying to figure out when to move back in and then of course what my mix should be too. I've probably got 30 years to retirement. It's hard to have your money sitting there losing value but its also hard to feel like you aren't participating. I've never put any of my money into bonds. I just have never taken the time to really understand them. The looming threat of inflation that everyone is always buzzing about has also kept me away.

This is exactly what I did. I'm still laying low until things settle a little.