[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

8th pick?

Alright guys, time for me to call in the favor.

So I'm drafting tonight in our local startup contract dynasty. For those who are in LLD with me, you are obviously familiar with how this works, with a 50 year contract cap limit to disperse among an 18 man roster, with cap room for aquiring free-agents and promoting DTS players. So needless to say, you can't assign long-term contracts to everyone.

We start 1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, TE, no flex, and use a very liberal PPE scoring system that works as follows:

Passing Yards: 25 yds = 1 point

Passing Attempts/Completions: .2/.3 (.5 point per completion)

Passing TDs: 4 points

Interception/Turnover: -1

Rushing Yards: 10 yds = 1 point

Rushing Attempts: 4 carries = 1 point (.25)

Rushing TDs: 6 points

Recieving Yards: 10 yds = 1 point

Receptions: 2 catches = 1 point (.5)

Recieving TDs: 6 points

So the touch bonuses balance out fairly evenly among positions, and although it adds weight to the top end guys, including QBs, but Qb in particular is probably the spot that is made most deep by the PPE (I won the championship last year with Ryan, Flacco, Freeman, all struggling/injured down the stretch, but won with solid skill players).

Feature RBs are still king in this format, since you get fractional points for carries too. But with picking 8th, I assume the 6 top RBs and AJ will all be gone, and am now torn on who I'll take. Stephen Jackson might not be a bad choice, but especially with it being contract dynasty, I'm really not sure if I like him better than one of the backs that I expect to be available at the 2.05 (Mendenhall, DWill, Greene, Grant, Charles, and perhaps even Sjax is still there). Same goes for WR. I had really hoped that Fitz looked like he'd be worth taking there, but all of the WRs I'm looking at there could also be available at the 2.05.

I'd really like to go some combination of RB/WR, but for the life of me can't decide which one is worth snagging at 1.08, since seemingly any of them could still be there at 2.05. Any suggestions?

Edited by delusions of granduer

At 1.08, I'd consider Rodgers, Romo, Schaub, Chris Wells, Miles Austin, Fitz, Calvin... in other words, guys who've proven they can do it and have many years left of ability. Obviously if MJD, CJ, or RR were there, they'd be the choice.

I seriously would consider a QB and put a six year contract on him.

Do you have a seperate rookie draft?

I disagree about the QB, you can get close enough value later in the draft. But that's my rule of thumb in general, just not a fan of drafting QB's earlier, although the 3 you list in a dynasty league would be good choices, but if you can get Matt Ryan in the 5th or 6th round, I wouldn't waste my first pick on a QB. JMHO.

I also think it's too early for any of those WR's you mentioned. DWii or Jamaal Charles would probably be my pick here if they are still on the board. If you don't grab a RB here, and take your first RB at 2.05, you might be in trouble, especially since you have to start 2 RB's.

At 1.08, I'd consider Rodgers, Romo, Schaub, Chris Wells, Miles Austin, Fitz, Calvin... in other words, guys who've proven they can do it and have many years left of ability. Obviously if MJD, CJ, or RR were there, they'd be the choice.

I seriously would consider a QB and put a six year contract on him.

Do you have a seperate rookie draft?

Yes, forgot to mention that I pick 5th in the rookie draft. I was considering Ben Tate, but with his season-ender, will likely be going with WR if Spiller or someone doesn't fall to me. I just can't go QB too early, and in this league, QBs do not tend to get snatched off the board that quick. There's a decent chance I could still land Manning in the third with this crowd, or at least probably Romo/Rivers, and I'll likely reach for Stafford as my long-term QB anyway.

True Hugh, you can get into some trouble waiting on RBs in this league where they get snatched up fast, but you can also get in big trouble choosing the wrong one, is my concern. I might even opt for 2 RBs to start, and maybe Charles could be a good choice for first young one...

Anyone else got any input? I'm still not really sold on anyone in particular here.

Edited by delusions of granduer

True Hugh, you can get into some trouble waiting on RBs in this league where they get snatched up fast, but you can also get in big trouble choosing the wrong one, is my concern. I might even opt for 2 RBs to start, and maybe Charles could be a good choice for first young one...

This is true of any pick, no matter the position. I'd rather take my chances on a higher rated RB in the 1st when I can likely get more comparable QBs and WRs later on, especially in a dynasty where it is a lot harder to come by solid RBs.

This is true of any pick, no matter the position. I'd rather take my chances on a higher rated RB in the 1st when I can likely get more comparable QBs and WRs later on, especially in a dynasty where it is a lot harder to come by solid RBs.

Very true BC. It's just that pick in particular that I'd like to get off to a good start with. My hope is that someone will just take Rodgers early and make my decision easy.

I know that you prefer guys like Grant, Dwill, or I guess even SJax (with the points per carries especially), but should the contract dynasty sway my decision towards a younger guy like Charles (which I know you're not sold on, but I am).

I guess what I'm asking is, since I can't assign long-term contracts to everyone, is it smart to use a high-pick on a guy who I won't give longer than a three-year contract, or do I pick the guy I plan to build my dynasty around? I guess it partly has to do with my goals, but my goal is being competitive every year.

Given that scoring system I have a hard time not taking Stephen Jackson in that spot....true primary ball carrier, you know he's good for 15-20 carries a game and that's worth 5 points to you right there.

One thing to remember in a contract dynasty, is that just because you pick a guy first doesn't mean you give him a big fat contract...I'd pick up Steven Jax and then slap a 3 year contract on his butt and spend a later pick on a younger studly guy and give him the longer contract (say a Shonne Green who I'd say is very attractive in that scoring format as well)

I'd have to run some numbers but in a .5 PPR for WR I'd imagine that the top end "bell cow" RBs are that much more valuable than a similiar WR

Go crazy and get Jackson and Green first...plenty of depth at QB (say a Kolb in later rounds, followed by a Donnovan McNabb even later with a short term deal)...and fill the mid gaps with WR and TE