[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matthews or Mendenhall

homebrewer

While Mathews is clearly an 'unknown', he just as clearly seems to be in a good situation to succeed. I'll admit I've never been on the Mendenhall bandwagon, but I just skimmed some of his numbers from last year:

- games with 75+ rushing yards ... 7

- games with 1+ rushing TDs ... 6

- total catches ... 25

This combined with his overall season totals is good but hardly staggering production ... compare with Ricky Williams (7 75+ games, 8 rush TD games) or J. Stewart (7 75+ games, 8 rush TD games) for example.

Not sure if the lack of Big Ben will help his totals this year, as he'll likely get more work - or if no Ben to keep the opponent a bit honest will mean Mendenhall faces more 8 man fronts, and has a tough time because of it ... consider that (last year at least) there were many occasions where Mendenhall was out of the game on 3rd (passing) down & this all adds up to me to be a 'buyer beware' situation on Mendenhall in 2010 depending on where in the draft you are targeting him.

Given the choice on draft day if my choice is between Mathews & Mendenhall when I need to select a RB and they are both still on the board at the same time ... I'll take a chance on the former and hope his potential for upside pans out, at least in terms of providing week to week consistent FF production ... I can easily see Mendenhall having a few big games, but can also see him struggling to put up strong numbers in just as many, with the remaining games falling somewhere in between.

Edited by ts

Mathews

Why? I think TS broke it down pretty well but to add to what he said I'll add something I saw on NFL network. Coach Tomlin was being interviewed and he was asked about Mendy and responded by saying he's working hard and "it's in his pedigree to be a great player"...blah blah blah. You could tell he was giving the politically correct answer. Any coach being asked about their starters will never say that the player is screwing up even if he is. But I saw coach Tomlin hesitate... to say Mendy would have a strong season. It was subtle but he hesitated and I remember thinking that I would not draft Mendy because Tomlin knows something that none of us do. I think Mendy will struggle for most of this season. He just doesn't have the "it" factor.

He might end up like Ronnie Brown or Joe Addai...a player that's supposed to be great but for whatever reasons (injuries, slow learner, work ethic) just isn't. Walter Payton used to run up and down mountains and hills to keep his legs at a certain performance level. I don't see Mendy as the type of guy that pushes himself to extreme limits to achieve greatness. Could I be 100% wrong? Sure. I doubt it but yeah I could be wrong. It doesn't hold much weight but what he did on Saturday is what I expect more often than not. (8 carries 11 yds. translates to 16 carries for 22 yds) :wacko:

Mathews is unkown and unproven but sometimes situations line up just right. He's a beast and he has his QB who happens to be much better than any of the Pitt QBs including Big Ben..

Good Luck with the decision.