[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the era of expert failure

Azazello1313

The preacher man says it’s the end of time

And the Mississippi River she’s a goin’ dry

The interest is up and the Stock Markets down

And you only get mugged

If you go down town

I live back in the woods, you see

A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive

And a country boy can survive

Country folks can survive

I can plow a field all day long

I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn

We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too

Ain’t too many things these ole boys can’t do

We grow good ole tomatoes and homemade wine

And a country boy can survive

Country folks can survive

Because you can’t starve us out

And you cant makes us run

Cause one-of- ‘em old boys raisin ole shotgun

And we say grace and we say Ma’am

And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

Problems for the health care experts.

With greater power comes greater bureaucracy. According to a June report in The Washington Post, HHS will have to hire hundreds of additional staffers to shoulder its new responsibilities. The department needs brainpower as well as manpower: As it stands, the administration doesn’t have the necessary expertise to carry out its new duties. Edmund Haislmaier, an analyst at the conservative Heritage Foundation, points out that HHS “doesn’t know how to do any of this. The federal government doesn’t have any experience running insurance regulations.” Prior to the passage of ObamaCare, that job was left largely to the states, who were given the freedom to regulate—or not—at their discretion. But no more. Essentially, explains the Galen Institute’s Turner, the law forces states to become contractors to the federal government. “States will not be able to do it their way,” she says. “They’ll have to do it Washington’s way.”

But what is Washington’s way? As it stands, no one seems to know. When it comes to exchange design, “the state of play right now is confusion,” says Michael Cannon, the director of health policy studies at the libertarian Cato Institute. One reason for that confusion is that HHS has already been slow to make rules, missing several early deadlines. Nor is the agency’s track record likely to improve any time soon. In June, Michael Leavitt, HHS secretary under George W. Bush, told ABC News that “the average rule takes 18 months, which means that there are many of those that take two or three years to do, because they have controversy or they require integration with some other rulemaking process.” By June, HHS had already missed multiple early implementation deadlines. Given the volume, complexity, and controversial nature of the new system, it’s a good bet that many of the regulations will continue to be established at a slower pace than planned.

• 1 month later...