[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ever sat a player to get waiver wire priority?

thestugots

I am pretty much guranteed to lose this weekend in that I am down 50 pts in a CBS stadard sports league. I have Frank Gore left to play so I son't mind to see what happens Monday night.

However has anyone here ever thought of sitting a player in this kind of situation in order to get waiver wire priority? My league does priority by lowest score, so I would likely get this. My geuss is the commish will set me back down the list even if I try this so I am probably not gonna do it. I just want to know if anyone else has tried this and you think of this kind of strategy?

I've seen it used as a viable strategy to secure a win, but never in this manner. I'm actually not sure what side of the fence I'd fall on, as it is a viable strategy, just not exactly totally on the up and up. If your league doesn't have rules that say you must start a full lineup each week, you could try it and at least get a ruling if there is a commotion about it.

I would be replacing him with A. Dixon, and would not have an empty spot. I'm not going to do it because it would compromise the guy who lost Matthews this week...his team is already bad so i think I willl give him a chance to get Tolbert and keep things interesting.

Edited by thestugots

I've always played to try to win but then again none of the 4 leagues I play have waivers set up like that so I never had to consider it. The name of the game is to win. If you have 0 chance of winning tonite, and there are no rules in place to prevent what your attempting, I'd do it. Last year a guy in a keeper league I play in started submitting crap lineups to help secure a better draft spot for this season. We had no rules for it and it was the hot topic at the end of last season. We've since implemented rules to deter that. Long story short, if it's within league rules, do it.

Is this more of a competitive or friendly league? If it's among friends, I don't know that I'd be taking advantage of the rules like that. The goal of the game should be to try to do your best, not to try to gain an advantage just because by luck you know going into Monday night that you can't win...

That said, in the name of competition, it certainly is a viable strategy, and because there are no safeguards in place to prevent this (and actually incentive to do this), then I guess I can't fault you for considering it..

But this is one of the reasons that my league awards a playoff spot to the points leader and waiver-wire rolling, to help ensure that there is incentive for all owners to put forth their best lineup, as they should... But just like any set of rules, there will always be loopholes though, but considering that this is a game, I think the way you play the game is just as important.. JMO though.

I've always played to try to win but then again none of the 4 leagues I play have waivers set up like that so I never had to consider it. The name of the game is to win. If you have 0 chance of winning tonite, and there are no rules in place to prevent what your attempting, I'd do it. Last year a guy in a keeper league I play in started submitting crap lineups to help secure a better draft spot for this season. We had no rules for it and it was the hot topic at the end of last season. We've since implemented rules to deter that. Long story short, if it's within league rules, do it.

Playing devil's advocate, but, if tonights game is a lost cause, wouldn't losing and scoring fewer points, which helps his waiver position this week (and theoretically helps his team more than a lower waiver priority), really be more of a "play to win" move for his team?

If you are sure its going to be a loss...and Gore scoring 50 isn't out of the question if you have high bonuses like my league (1PPR, 5 pt bonus for 100 yd rush game, 10 pt bonus for 200)...it is worth doing if you KNOW you CANT win because that could be the difference between owning Brandon Jackson or not last week...