[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Campaign Finance

Duchess Jack

A couple Campaign Finance questions  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be full disclosure on who is financing campaign ads?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. should there be limits on corporate electioneering?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. should there be a hard max dollar amount for elections?

• yes
    • no

I don't understand the whole 'free speech' thing with business and their donating.

Seeing as everybody who works in the business, runs and business and has investment in the business already has the right to free speech and the right to donate to an election - why should a business be allowed to donate as well?

I don't understand the whole 'free speech' thing with business and their donating.

Seeing as everybody who works in the business, runs and business and has investment in the business already has the right to free speech and the right to donate to an election - why should a business be allowed to donate as well?

Same reasons Unions, PACS, and other special interest groups can donate. If you make the law to where ONLY individuals can donate money, fine, but so long as these other entities can donate, businesses should be allowed to, as well. I'm really beginning to feel that public financing of campaigns is the way to go. With that, we need to change the laws with regard to lobbyists, they need to be locked out of legislators offices.

Same reasons Unions, PACS, and other special interest groups can donate. If you make the law to where ONLY individuals can donate money, fine, but so long as these other entities can donate, businesses should be allowed to, as well. I'm really beginning to feel that public financing of campaigns is the way to go. With that, we need to change the laws with regard to lobbyists, they need to be locked out of legislators offices.

I would be 100% cool with only individuals making donations.

at the very least - I'd love to know what corporations are donating to what candidate and are putting on what ads so I can make a better decision where I spend my money.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Gotta love a system where politicians can raise/spend millions upon millions for their campaigns toward getting elected into office where their first order of business will be to cut programs and/or raise taxes because the budgets are all in the red :wacko:

Edited by Delicious_bass

I would be 100% cool with only individuals making donations.

at the very least - I'd love to know what corporations are donating to what candidate and are putting on what ads so I can make a better decision where I spend my money.

You can tell what corporations are donating to what candidates. If a candidate receives a check from a corp, or any individual for that matter, they have to file it in a report to the FEC.

Where the donors can be hidden is when the money is funneled through a PAC, Non-Profit, or other such group who is doing the advertising indirectly for a given candidate or position. These groups do not have the same disclosure rules as do candidates.

You can tell what corporations are donating to what candidates. If a candidate receives a check from a corp, or any individual for that matter, they have to file it in a report to the FEC.

Where the donors can be hidden is when the money is funneled through a PAC, Non-Profit, or other such group who is doing the advertising indirectly for a given candidate or position. These groups do not have the same disclosure rules as do candidates.

I got the impression that it wasn't that easy. I will have to give it a peak some time.

I guess the PAC ads are the most insidious part of this, due to their absolute lack of accountability.

In regard to the first poll question, there is full disclosure as to who makes/funds the campaign ads. It will always say at the bottom of the TV screen or will be stated at the end of the radio commercial... "this ad was paid for by... " or some similar language.

What you guys really want to know is who are the people who are donating monies to the group that made the ad.

Since the AARP runs political ads, should every person who contributes money to the AARP be disclosed? How bout the NRA, should all of their donors be disclosed? Because a lot of the donations, membership fees go to each of the PAC's in these two organizations, but it is hard to tell exactly where that individual dollar came from.

I got the impression that it wasn't that easy. I will have to give it a peak some time.

I guess the PAC ads are the most insidious part of this, due to their absolute lack of accountability.

Link to FEC disclosure reports for all candidates.