[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McDonalds sued for enticing children

gbpfan1231

Then why does McDonalds bother? Are you saying one of the primary marketing angles of one of the biggest companies in the world is basically ineffective? I am sure that, in a frank and honest moment, they'd disagree with you.

Of course it is effective. I can't believe people are against it though. They sell food for gods sake - if you don't want your kid to eat it then don't go. Nobody but McDonalds should be bale to tell them how to market.

This world is becoming a bunch of irresponsible pansies.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it is effective. I can't believe people are against it though. They sell food for gods sake - if you don't want your kid to eat it then don't go. Nobody but McDonalds should be bale to tell them how to market.

This world is becoming a bunch of irresponsible pansies.

What about Philip Morris? Should anyone tell them?

Again, I'm not advocating laws or lawsuits.

However, it is already established that marketing unhealthy things to kids is sleazy. In fact, marketing particularly unhealthy things, like smokes, to kids is actually illegal.

It has also been established that McDonalds is also unhealthy. As unhealthy as smokes? Perhaps not. Then again, I'm also not suggesting that marketing it to kids should also be illegal.

What about sex? Violence?

At any rate, the very nature of marketing to kids is effing underhanded altogether. They realize that many adults would not be swayed by their marketing. If they told parents, "buy your kids this stupid toy or this worthless piece of food" they'd say, "No thanks". So, they go for the kids, knowing they'll be a much more compelling spokesman for the product than a clown. So, essentially, you're defending the practice of some a-hole trying to turn your kids into a marketing pawn against you.

Now, for the umpteenth time, I'm not saying this should be illegal, but if you personalized it in other ways, you'd see it in a different light. If you found out that there was someone walked across the street from your kids as they walked to school each day telling them school sucked and they should just go do something fun, you'd find that person and tell him to leave your kids the hell alone. Sure, at the end of the day, it's up to you to make your kids do the right thing, but why allow some d-bag to try and undermine your efforts?

Edited by detlef

First mistake by multiple people in this thread is thinking that McDonalds is "food".

is it edible? yes . . . so is dirt, and multiple other things I see on Man vs Wild. doesnt mean it is "food".

We now return you to the self righteous outrage over how McDonalds is being infringed upon . . .

What about Philip Morris? Should anyone tell them?

Again, I'm not advocating laws or lawsuits.

However, it is already established that marketing unhealthy things to kids is sleazy. In fact, marketing particularly unhealthy things, like smokes, to kids is actually illegal.

It has also been established that McDonalds is also unhealthy. As unhealthy as smokes? Perhaps not. Then again, I'm also not suggesting that marketing it to kids should also be illegal.

What about sex? Violence?

At any rate, the very nature of marketing to kids is effing underhanded altogether. They realize that many adults would not be swayed by their marketing. If they told parents, "buy your kids this stupid toy or this worthless piece of food" they'd say, "No thanks". So, they go for the kids, knowing they'll be a much more compelling spokesman for the product than a clown. So, essentially, you're defending the practice of some a-hole trying to turn your kids into a marketing pawn against you.

Now, for the umpteenth time, I'm not saying this should be illegal, but if you personalized it in other ways, you'd see it in a different light. If you found out that there was someone walked across the street from your kids as they walked to school each day telling them school sucked and they should just go do something fun, you'd find that person and tell him to leave your kids the hell alone. Sure, at the end of the day, it's up to you to make your kids do the right thing, but why allow some d-bag to try and undermine your efforts?

All marketing is directed at someone. The toy industry obviously markets to kids, hoping they will pressure their parents to buy the latest plastic Chinese junk de jour for them. I don't see why McDonald's shouldn't market to kids. Parents just have to be strong enough to say No. It is really simple - just say No.

First mistake by multiple people in this thread is thinking that McDonalds is "food".

is it edible? yes . . . so is dirt, and multiple other things I see on Man vs Wild. doesnt mean it is "food".

We now return you to the self righteous outrage over how McDonalds is being infringed upon . . .

:wacko:

"As gbpfan plows down a few Big Macs . . ." :wacko:

Actually had one last week for the first time in ages. Was not bad - too much lettuce :tup:

Seriously though. There are sometimes toys in cereal that is not healthy - is that wrong? Is Cracker Jacks supposed to stop with the fake tattoos in the box?

Can you not advertise a kids toy to someone who can't afford it since it is wrong to pit a kid against a parent???

Actually had one last week for the first time in ages. Was not bad - too much lettuce :wacko:

Seriously though. There are sometimes toys in cereal that is not healthy - is that wrong? Is Cracker Jacks supposed to stop with the fake tattoos in the box?

Can you not advertise a kids toy to someone who can't afford it since it is wrong to pit a kid against a parent???

I really dont care on the subject . . . . but I take offense at calling that processed crap "food" . . . it is practically soylent green . . .

I really dont care on the subject . . . . but I take offense at calling that processed crap "food" . . . it is practically soylent green . . .

I think there are WAY more things in this world to worry about than whether dimwits are making themselves fat by eating McDonald's rubbish. Let's solve those issues first before we worry about the content of a Big Mac.

After all, it's a very easy problem to avoid - just don't go in there.

Actually had one last week for the first time in ages. Was not bad - too much lettuce :wacko:

You're going to need to stop with the "can you not" line since nobody here is saying that there should be a law against this.

Ok OK - then edit replace "Can" with "Should"

It's pretty sleazy.

If you own a bar and are looking to increase business. Should you bug a friend with a drinking problem to come down and have a few?

You are preying on people, plain and simple. You have a demographic that is very much known to be very impressionable and not aware of consequences. And you are specifically using that demographic to get to those who might know better but would be sympathetic to their kids and want to make them happy.

Again, not saying it shouldn't be allowed, but it damned well shouldn't be defended to the extent that it does every time this topic comes up.

You said it yourself, obesity is at least half on the shoulders of the parents. Well, that means there's others to blame. And one likely culprit is the group who goads kids into pestering their parents about taking them to McDonalds.

Edited by detlef

And obesity is a massive, massive issue in the country, so it's more like marketing cigarettes to kids than people want to believe. And it's actually illegal to market cigarettes to kids. I'm merely suggesting that people be a bit more annoyed by the marketing of unhealthy food to the same demographic that we've already decided should be sheltered from advertisement of other attractive and unhealthy things.

Its nothing like marketing cigarettes to kids. One of these things is illegal... now a days I am not sure which one though.

Its just food folks. Not the Devil in a bag. Demonizing fast food is really getting old.

I do not own a McDonald's.

It's pretty sleazy.

If you own a bar and are looking to increase business. Should you bug a friend with a drinking problem to come down and have a few?

You are preying on people, plain and simple. You have a demographic that is very much known to be very impressionable and not aware of consequences. And you are specifically using that demographic to get to those who might know better but would be sympathetic to their kids and want to make them happy.

Again, not saying it shouldn't be allowed, but it damned well shouldn't be defended to the extent that it does every time this topic comes up.

You said it yourself, obesity is at least half on the shoulders of the parents. Well, that means there's others to blame. And one likely culprit is the group who goads kids into pestering their parents about taking them to McDonalds.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I see absolutely nothing wrong with what McDonalds is doing and would put A LOT more than 50% of the blame on the parents.

And obesity is a massive, massive issue in the country, so it's more like marketing cigarettes to kids than people want to believe. And it's actually illegal to market cigarettes to kids. I'm merely suggesting that people be a bit more annoyed by the marketing of unhealthy food to the same demographic that we've already decided should be sheltered from advertisement of other attractive and unhealthy things.

Its nothing like marketing cigarettes to kids. One of these things is illegal... now a days I am not sure which one though.

Its just food folks. Not the Devil in a bag. Demonizing fast food is really getting old.

I do not own a McDonald's.

:wacko:

So, conceptually, marketing cigarettes is worse because it's illegal?

So, if a drug was invented that was harmful but so new it wasn't yet illegal. But people wanted to make it so and pointed out that we make other drugs illegal. The argument that it's not as bad as those drugs would be because those are illegal and this drug is not?

For starters, if you've read even the post you quoted, you'll notice that I'm not saying it should be illegal. Oh, never mind.

With cigarettes you are marketing to someone to go out and break a law. Understand now?

Maybe this helps:

A minor can walk in and buy a pack of french fries but he cannot legally buy a pack of smokes.

Fair enough, I misread your post.

OK, so why is it illegal for kids to smoke or drink? Could it have anything to do with their ability to make decisions?

I think it is reasonable to draw a distinction between food and drugs.

OK, what about cars? sex?

The point is this: We as a society have decided that we will protect children from certain things. And one can only assume that is because we feel they lack the maturity to handle them and make wise choices. Which is fine.

Only, when businesses exploit the very thing that society has recognized our children lack, even so much as taking exception to this is somehow an affront to all that is holy and American.

It actually doesn't matter all that much what is being marketed. Well, I guess unless it some thing like reading more or working hard in school. Mind you, it certainly doesn't help their case that what they're peddling is directly linked to health issues.

What is offensive is the tactic. Illegal? No. Offensive? Yes.

OK, what about cars? sex?

The point is this: We as a society have decided that we will protect children from certain things. And one can only assume that is because we feel they lack the maturity to handle them and make wise choices. Which is fine.

Only, when businesses exploit the very thing that society has recognized our children lack, even so much as taking exception to this is somehow an affront to all that is holy and American.

It actually doesn't matter all that much what is being marketed. Well, I guess unless it some thing like reading more or working hard in school. Mind you, it certainly doesn't help their case that what they're peddling is directly linked to health issues.

What is offensive is the tactic. Illegal? No. Offensive? Yes.

I guess I am kinda lost with what you are trying to say.

Are you saying that McDonalds using a toy in a Happy Meal is offensive?

Just a thought - I wonder how many school lunch menu items are worse than happy meals?

A Happy Meal has less than 700 calories. Do you have items on your menu with more than 700 calories? What if a kid thinks your little dogs on your logo are cute and that is Marketing to a kid - should you change your logo?

Edited by gbpfan1231

Agree it should not get very far but it just shows how pathetic people are. There is no responsibility for your own actions anymore.
This also just in, they found the Lindbergh baby. yawn.

Honestly, anyone even mildly surprised or outraged by this hasn't been paying much attention to the state of our society. Stuff like accountability and even semi-intelligent/responsible parenting went out of vogue a LONG time ago, to say nothing of what a joke our legal system has become.

First off, let me say this is a lame law suit.

Funny thing though, I always find it odd when the "no responsibility for their actions" card is played here. Because, while I agree, I wonder why businesses get totally off the hook.

It cuts both ways. Sure parents need to raise their kids. However, it always amazes how fast everyone rallies to the support of companies who have a specific marketing policy to make it as hard as they possibly can for parents to do the right thing.

aw. :wacko:

That's really weak - but not half as weak as the "preying on people" bit or the laughable comparisons to junkies, drugs, cars, sex etc etc.

PS nice try grimm, but you're wasting your time.

I guess I am kinda lost with what you are trying to say.

Are you saying that McDonalds using a toy in a Happy Meal is offensive?

Just a thought - I wonder how many school lunch menu items are worse than happy meals?

A Happy Meal has less than 700 calories. Do you have items on your menu with more than 700 calories? What if a kid thinks your little dogs on your logo are cute and that is Marketing to a kid - should you change your logo?

It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. It just comes down to this, "pick on someone your own size".

You all keep avoiding my comments about how society recognizes that kids lack maturity to think critically and are, thus protected from many things. And companies specifically exploit the very weaknesses we've all agreed kids have. That's really it. It's not criminal, but it sure ain't very noble.

The rest of your post just proves you're reaching.

1) Yes, school lunches are a joke. And that is another thing entirely that has nothing to do with this topic.

2) Children are fed real food at all my places. Calorie count is less important than actually eating real food.

3) The last thing anyone would ever accuse me of is marketing my restaurants towards kids. Hell, I've been wrongly accused on this message board of trying to keep them out.

4) I'm not talking about things that kids might happen to think is cute. I'm talking about massive campaigns directed specifically at kids.

I really doubt that kids are getting fat from eatin a couple times a week at MCDs.

Why don't you start looking at the Cheetos sodas and candy they wanna shove

down there throats while sitting on their fat butts playing Xbox.

Who is letting them do that. Parents. Take care of your own kids and quit

trying to blame little Johnnies problems on everyone but yourself.

yup.

While we're at it, way too many schools are feeding those turds all those cheetos, soda and candy. That's gotta stop.

A lot more schools are eliminating those choices for kids. It hasnt been easy because companies like Coke and Pepsi sponsor scholarships and donate money to the districts for exclusive beverage/vending rights.

A step in the right direction. :wacko: