[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much would it cost to hire movers?

Guggs

Kind of a broad question I know because of the amount of stuff makes a difference etc. I am single, so only one bedroom worth of stuff. Living room, kitchen furniture of course. Have a bed and recliner in basement. Possibly moving about 50 miles. Just curious if anyone has any past experience with it.

Hired a local guy two years ago, they moved furniture only for my wife and I. I would say we had a lot of furniture. It was only across town and they had a 50' moving truck/trailer and it was $800. It was the best investment I every made and gave each guy a $100 tip. No damage and all furniture was taken to its specific room and if they took it apart they put it back together. We moved all of our boxes.

Edit to add: I would think you would be paying $3 per mile based on fuel costs.

Edited by Rebellab

I've only hired movers once and it was about the worst experience I've ever had with any business.

My biggest mistake is that I went with Movers.com who, in turn, went to some third party mover, so the trail of accountability got really muddy in a hurry, because, if I recall correctly, Movers.com pawned me off on some other company who ended up pawning me off on the guys who actually moved my stuff. Which is a shame because it ended up being a total effing nightmare. Problem was, I was just too far into it and figured, "what's the worst that could go wrong?"

Google "Israeli moving companies". There's like a freaking cartel of really crappy Israeli moving companies and all are total effing criminals. For starters, they managed to weasel several hundred dollars more than the quote out of me in bits and pieces.

Honestly, I've tried to forget much of it but, at one point, when I tracked the dudes down because they were weeks overdue (it was cross country move), he threatened to throw my stuff off the truck where he was if I didn't get off his back.

Eventually, I got my stuff, some of it broken, and as much as I tried to recoup damages, never had any luck. Ultimately, I just turned the page because it wasn't anything priceless and I was going to have to go through way too much work to get the several hundred dollars I may have had coming.

We've had movers move us six times -- three paid by a company, three by us. The most recent was in June '09, when we moved from a rental to a house we bought. It was only a couple miles away, though. I would get two or three companies to come out. See if any friends or relatives have any recommendations. We also got a recommendation from our real-estate agent. Might want to check Yelp, too. Doesn't sound like a big job, though, so my guess is you should budget around $500-$750, but I could be way off depending on where you are.

I rented a U-Haul, and they had on their website where you could hire movers by the hour. It was like $150 for 3 hours, and it came with 2 workers. Now these guys don't work for U-Haul, but the site takes you to available movers and what their rates are. These guys were really good. They knew how to best wrap things and fit everything into my U-Haul.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingHelp/

Edited by electricrelish

Post the job on Craigslist. Make it known that you will be taking identification and license plate/vin numbers down on all vehicles. Make sure they have insurance. I'm sure there are 100's of hard working, out of work folk that would love to make some cash to pay a bill or two.