[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Router Question about Dual Band

MikesVikes

It all started when the DVD player stopped working. It was getting old anyway so I looked and got a new Blue Ray player that has wireless downloads.

When I was installing the Blue Ray, it didn't even detect my old Wireless router. The TV/Blue Ray system is upstairs in the sunroom that has no basement under it. and the router is downstairs in the basement. Looks like new router time!

I got a Netgear 600 Dual band so I could download Netflix movies. Router has two bands one is over 5G and the other is over 2G. Each band has its own network.

Question is can both networks be wireless? The Blue Ray only detects the 2G band. When I look at the router reviews, it looks like the faster 5G band slows down as it gets further away from the router.

What say you? How can I download movies with the faster band?

This one

Edited by MikesVikes

So yes, the router can have two wireless networks, each on a different frequency. The trouble may lie with your Blu Ray player. It may only have the ability to function on the 2.4 GHz and not the 5 GHz. You'll need to post the brand and model of the Blu Ray player so we can see if that is the case.

So yes, the router can have two wireless networks, each on a different frequency. The trouble may lie with your Blu Ray player. It may only have the ability to function on the 2.4 GHz and not the 5 GHz. You'll need to post the brand and model of the Blu Ray player so we can see if that is the case.

This is the Blue Ray.

link

This is from the user manual for your Blu Ray player:

For a wireless router, use a router which supports IEEE 802.11 b/g/n.

(n is recommended for stable operation of the wireless network.)

So it will support the higher network speed. The question is whether or not you have a signal where the Blu Ray Player is. On your router you should be able to configure each of the wireless networks with a different SSID. Change the SSID of the 5 GHz network and then try to find it with the Blu Ray player. If you can't find it then the signal isn't strong enough and you'll have to either move the router (usually not a possibility) or add a second wireless access point closer to the player.

This is from the user manual for your Blu Ray player:

So it will support the higher network speed. The question is whether or not you have a signal where the Blu Ray Player is. On your router you should be able to configure each of the wireless networks with a different SSID. Change the SSID of the 5 GHz network and then try to find it with the Blu Ray player. If you can't find it then the signal isn't strong enough and you'll have to either move the router (usually not a possibility) or add a second wireless access point closer to the player.

Thanks. My wife's mac couldn't find the higher speed network either. I labeled the SSID of the faster network with a "5G" and the lower speed as "2" so I could identify which one I was looking at. The reviews said that the higher speed band was not as strong as the lower one. It was late last night and I didn't mess with the router much after it was working. I was mostly trying to match the security passcodes to work with the Blue Ray. It was late by the time I got the passcode entered the correct way for the Blue Ray to accept it.

Thanks again.

Edited by MikesVikes