[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Networking help

MrTed46

I have a linksys router but in a area of my basement the wireless signal cuts, so I put a wireless bridge between the two and now I have internet everywhere. The problem I have is I put my DVR in basement and it connects to internet through the bridge but when I login into my main router (not the bridge) I do not see the DVR. This is causing me problems because my other computers are connected using the main router and my DVR is connected using the bridge.

The bridge is Buffalo name brand and its IP begins with 192.168.11.1. The linksys is the main router and its IP begins 192.168.14.1. The same encryption format and key are used as well as SSID. The Buffalo is set to wireless bridge in configuration and the internet works 100%.

How can I make the linksys see every connection even if it is connected through the Buffalo?

I have a linksys router but in a area of my basement the wireless signal cuts, so I put a wireless bridge between the two and now I have internet everywhere. The problem I have is I put my DVR in basement and it connects to internet through the bridge but when I login into my main router (not the bridge) I do not see the DVR. This is causing me problems because my other computers are connected using the main router and my DVR is connected using the bridge.

The bridge is Buffalo name brand and its IP begins with 192.168.11.1. The linksys is the main router and its IP begins 192.168.14.1. The same encryption format and key are used as well as SSID. The Buffalo is set to wireless bridge in configuration and the internet works 100%.

How can I make the linksys see every connection even if it is connected through the Buffalo?

I am not a networking guy so take what I say with a grain of poop. A bridge doesn't care where in your network an address resides, what it does is examine the source IP address in the packet header to find devices. Once it has been found, it will capture and record the MAC address in a table and from there knows where to send the packets. If a packet is received on the bridge but the MAC table doesn't not have the MAC address populate then the bridge will discard the packets.

You may want to configure your router for MAC address filtering and add the MAC address of the DVR.

Again, I am not a networking person and would look towards Ursa for assistance.

My first question is exactly what type of problems are you encountering? I suspect that it is nothing more than IP address assignment and netmasks being the culprit here but without understanding your network design and the problems encounterd it is nothing more than a guess.

My first question is exactly what type of problems are you encountering? I suspect that it is nothing more than IP address assignment and netmasks being the culprit here but without understanding your network design and the problems encounterd it is nothing more than a guess.

If I connect to my network with linksys router I do not see my DVR. If I login using the Buffalo router I can see the DVR. All logins occur wirelessly. I want to be able to see everything when I login anywhere in my house.

The DVR is wired into the Buffalo router which is acting as a wireless bridge.

Does this help?

The bridge is Buffalo name brand and its IP begins with 192.168.11.1. The linksys is the main router and its IP begins 192.168.14.1.

Man, I'm going to have to read more into it. But last year I took a course about this and I believe that you need to set your subnet dhcp address to be the same. Meaning your main router needs to be 192.168.14.1 and then your bridge needs to be 192.168.14.2. Right now it looks like you have 2 main routers operating as main on the 255.255.0.0 scheme. Where the 1st zero is not really acting as an extension of the first one, but borrowing the connection to act as another main.

You need to have your bridge on the 255.255.255.0 scheme, that way anything you connect to it should respond to your main router and be under the same hierarchy.

BTW, both your main and your bridge should have static IP addresses to avoid conflict.

Again, I might not remember correctly and someone will come and correct me before I can find my notes, lol.

Good luck!

Man, I'm going to have to read more into it. But last year I took a course about this and I believe that you need to set your subnet dhcp address to be the same. Meaning your main router needs to be 192.168.14.1 and then your bridge needs to be 192.168.14.2. Right now it looks like you have 2 main routers operating as main on the 255.255.0.0 scheme. Where the 1st zero is not really acting as an extension of the first one, but borrowing the connection to act as another main.

You need to have your bridge on the 255.255.255.0 scheme, that way anything you connect to it should respond to your main router and be under the same hierarchy.

BTW, both your main and your bridge should have static IP addresses to avoid conflict.

Again, I might not remember correctly and someone will come and correct me before I can find my notes, lol.

Good luck!

This is pretty much the road I was headed down.

Good luck!

Thanks I will try doing that

If I connect to my network with linksys router I do not see my DVR. If I login using the Buffalo router I can see the DVR. All logins occur wirelessly. I want to be able to see everything when I login anywhere in my house.

The DVR is wired into the Buffalo router which is acting as a wireless bridge.

Does this help?

Not really, because I need you to define "see".

Networks are all about traffic and routing. So to me, being able to "see" the DVR from the Linksys router would mean that I could ping the IP address of the DVR from the router. That means that traffic can get from the router to the DVR and back again.

Now, I'm guessing that the Linksys router has some type of table that shows connected devices and this is what you are referring to when you say "see". I would say that it is because of network segmentation that you can't "see" this device in table. I'm also thinking that you are SOL.

Thanks I will try doing that

Easy bro, don't go blowing up the network if you don't know what you're doing.

Not really, because I need you to define "see".

Networks are all about traffic and routing. So to me, being able to "see" the DVR from the Linksys router would mean that I could ping the IP address of the DVR from the router. That means that traffic can get from the router to the DVR and back again.

Now, I'm guessing that the Linksys router has some type of table that shows connected devices and this is what you are referring to when you say "see". I would say that it is because of network segmentation that you can't "see" this device in table. I'm also thinking that you are SOL.

That is my definition of "see"

SOL? Can't be done?

ETA: I can't ping the DVR when I connect to the main router but I can ping it when I connect to the bridge.

Edited by MrTed46

Easy bro, don't go blowing up the network if you don't know what you're doing.

:wacko: thanks for the warning but the network isnt very intense. It is a home computer, home server, a laptop and a DVR (which moved location). Worst case I will reset the routers and try again.

I know the basics (at least I call it that) but never tried to join to routers together to act as one.

ETA: besides I like toying around with this stuff. If I get it to work I feel like I discovered E=mc^2

Edited by MrTed46