[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

setting a router password?

muck

Now to change the broadcast of your SSID (wireless network name)

1) Click the "wireless" heading at the top (like above)

2) click "basic wireless settings"

3) you may need to select the radio button (round button) for "manual configuration"

4) you should now see your SSID. again, make it something with a special character.

5) click the radio/round button for "disabled" next to "SSID broadcast"

6) save

There is no "manual configuration" option.

My options are:

1) Wireless Network Mode -- options are "mixed", "disabled", "b-only" and "g-only"

2) Wireless Network Name -- typed in word; currently 'linksys'

3) Wireless Channel -- there are 11 options; for me 2.437 GHz is selected

4) Wireless SSID Broadcast -- two radio buttons -- 'enable' and 'disable' ('enable' is selected)

5) SES status is showing as being 'inactive'

It's the password you are choosing to add to your wireless connection so people can't snipe it. You shouldn't need to reset the router, you are creating this new password to protect your wireless. Interesting it's using the words pre-shared key and not passphrase, what model router is this?

I believe the model was built sometime in 1894. :wacko:

It's a: WRT54GS, version 6.

There is no "manual configuration" option.

My options are:

1) Wireless Network Mode -- options are "mixed", "disabled", "b-only" and "g-only"

2) Wireless Network Name -- typed in word; currently 'linksys'

3) Wireless Channel -- there are 11 options; for me 2.437 GHz is selected

4) Wireless SSID Broadcast -- two radio buttons -- 'enable' and 'disable' ('enable' is selected)

5) SES status is showing as being 'inactive'

You are probably in a different sub-menu - is there another menu bar below the original one that has Wireless Security as an option?

You want:

1. Mixed

2. This is where you will name your wireless network - definitely change it from the default Linksys. Muckwork or some such name would work.

3. Choose anything besides 2 and 6. Most router makers use one of these as their default.

4. Enable is fine.

5. SES inactive is recommended

I believe the model was built sometime in 1894. :wacko:

It's a: WRT54GS, version 6.

2002 to be exact. I hate to mention this, but have you updated the firmware recently/ever?

Regardless, go to the Cisco web site and try to find a tutorial on that model. It should describe the options that you have as per this article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-wr...7-30825185.html

2002 to be exact. I hate to mention this, but have you updated the firmware recently/ever?

Regardless, go to the Cisco web site and try to find a tutorial on that model. It should describe the options that you have as per this article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-wr...7-30825185.html

What's firmware?

Why would I care if it's been updated?

What's firmware?

Why would I care if it's been updated?

Firmware is the software your router uses to run/control it. There are updates that fix bugs and possibly add new features.

It may not be a problem but as long as you reset everything it wouldn't be a big deal. In the router s/w there should be a tab called Administration. Somewhere in there there should be an option to update the router's firmware.

Edited by rocknrobn26

How do I know which file I want to upgrade?

There is a "browse" tab for me to find a file to upgrade.

:confused:

I thought it would be more intuitive than that. That being said, forget it! If you load the wrong version it will lock up what you have and render it useless.

If you want to do it here are some links that should help:

http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/o...s_routers,0.pdf

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54GS

You did say Version 6, correct?

How do I know which file I want to upgrade?

There is a "browse" tab for me to find a file to upgrade.

:confused:

In all honesty I would skip it. If you do it wrong you'll brick the router. Long ago firmware upgrades used to make major improvements and/or fix big vulnerabilities - not so much any more. Maybe a small feature here and there but most of which the average user will never touch. Firmware IMO is a poster child of "if it ain't broke dont' fix it".

You are probably in a different sub-menu - is there another menu bar below the original one that has Wireless Security as an option?

You want:

1. Mixed

2. This is where you will name your wireless network - definitely change it from the default Linksys. Muckwork or some such name would work.

3. Choose anything besides 2 and 6. Most router makers use one of these as their default.

4. Enable is fine.

5. SES inactive is recommended

WADR, I would answer "No, No, No, and NO" on #4. Set it to "disable". Hopefully set a password on it too. By broadcasting your SSID, you're giving the shifferbrains hopping on his network half the info they need to get back on it. Of course, I'm guessing once they see the SSID has changed and now has a password, they'll know the jig is up. Prolly just on there because it was open, as I doubt anyone who would do anything bad would bother getting on an open network, or he would have had mucho issues by now.

You could always leave the SSID as visible, and name your network something like you see on the link below. Too bad you don't have some more tech knowledge. You could wait until they're on your network again, and then really screw with them.

http://thechive.com/2011/02/24/funny-wi-fi...this-24-photos/

I should probably warn you. if you go to the chive's site, you may be gone for an hour or so...

uncle touchy's puzzle basement. classic wifi name!

These are my choices:

WPA Pre-Shared Key

WPA Radius

WPA Pre-Shared Key only

WPA Radius only

WPA Pre-Shared Key mixed

WPA Radius mixed

Radius

WEP

No WPA-2 choice is available to me. Please help me gain wisdom.

I would choose WPA Pre-Shared Key (aka WPA-PSK). Radius involves a server, and I'm guessing you don't have one on your home network. :wacko: You may also want to look at upgrading/updating to a newer router. I think you're probably fine as it is though. What model router do you have?