[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why are movies still in letterbox

matt770

I hate this. When we used to have an old box for a TV, I assumed that we were getting the blacked out bits at the top and bottom because our TV was an old POS. Then we got a fancy new largish flat-screen and I figured those days were over.

Think again. :wacko:

I know purists who complain about movies being altered to fit TV screens but guess what, almost nobody has a TV the shape of a fricking movie screen!

Whats the point of having a larger screen if 1/3 of it is black?

And, yes, I've screwed with the aspects.

I know purists who complain about movies being altered to fit TV screens but guess what, almost nobody has a TV the shape of a fricking movie screen!

well, I think many times you have the option in the DVD/bluray menu to crop or have the black bars. and even if it doesnt your TV almost certainly has a crop setting that will allow you to fill up your screen if that is your top priority.

Whats the point of having a larger screen if 1/3 of it is black?

well, you're wasting a lot less space with a 16:9 TV vs a 4:3. and you're seeing a lot more picture with a bigger screen. seem like pretty obvious and worthwhile reasons to me :wacko:

Many DVD players have a zoom function that will eliminate most if not all of the black bars. Not the same as aspect ratio.

Yeah, but then you're cutting off both sides of the scene and not seeing the movie as it was intended. The black bars are not as bad on the larger set, it's just kind of silly to me that the one major change to television sizes that we are likely to see in our lifetimes did not take cinema aspect ratio into account.