[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pool owners

matt770

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Update: bought a house with an in-ground chlorine pool, vinyl liner. Observations:

August was ridiculously hot and dry, even by Atlanta standards. We were in the pool every day and most evenings too. I took a week off for the move and the pool was awesome when I was outside unpacking stuff in the shed (and repairing shingles on the shed which was like working on the surface of the sun). I'd take a dip every hour. It's refreshing and invigorating. A pool is a great thing to have. We will get tons of use out of it.

Anything having to do with a pool, whether it's a chemical, piece of equipment or recreational item, costs 4 times what it should. Owning a pool is indeed very expensive. Our pool cleaner is a POS and I want one of those robotic things with the wheels that cruises around vacuuming up debris. We're talking $700.

A cover would have been nice. Quotes for a custom safety cover are coming in at $2-3K. I can't justify that expense right now after what we spent on the move, so I'm dealing with the leaves which is a major pain in the ass.

Winterizing vs. letting the pump run all winter is a conundrum I'm wrestling with at the moment. Leaning toward running the pump and praying for no power outages that occur during a major freeze.

I ran the pump 24x7 at first because I didn't know any better. Now I run it about 8 hours a day and the electric bills are less horrifying.

As predicted, family and friends seem slightly more enthusiastic about visiting than I would normally expect. But at the same time we are looking forward to entertaining. The whole pool/patio experience, grilling, shooting the sh*t, eating, swimming, drinking, swimming, is a lot of fun with guests.

We definitely want to switch over to salt at some point, but it's not a priority for next season. I'll buy the cover before I do that, and the cost is about the same.

The pool attracts dozens of hughmongous hairy gray spiders that freak me out when I go to remove the filter cartridges. I have also removed a dead snake from the filter basket and a dead lizard from the bottom of the pool.

My wife sees me outside cleaning the leaves/filter cartridges constantly and says she wished she didn't insist on the pool. :wacko: I say I'm glad we have it and I think it's going to give us years of enjoyment.

Update: bought a house with an in-ground chlorine pool, vinyl liner. Observations:

August was ridiculously hot and dry, even by Atlanta standards. We were in the pool every day and most evenings too. I took a week off for the move and the pool was awesome when I was outside unpacking stuff in the shed (and repairing shingles on the shed which was like working on the surface of the sun). I'd take a dip every hour. It's refreshing and invigorating. A pool is a great thing to have. We will get tons of use out of it.

Anything having to do with a pool, whether it's a chemical, piece of equipment or recreational item, costs 4 times what it should. Owning a pool is indeed very expensive. Our pool cleaner is a POS and I want one of those robotic things with the wheels that cruises around vacuuming up debris. We're talking $700.

A cover would have been nice. Quotes for a custom safety cover are coming in at $2-3K. I can't justify that expense right now after what we spent on the move, so I'm dealing with the leaves which is a major pain in the ass.

Winterizing vs. letting the pump run all winter is a conundrum I'm wrestling with at the moment. Leaning toward running the pump and praying for no power outages that occur during a major freeze.

I ran the pump 24x7 at first because I didn't know any better. Now I run it about 8 hours a day and the electric bills are less horrifying.

As predicted, family and friends seem slightly more enthusiastic about visiting than I would normally expect. But at the same time we are looking forward to entertaining. The whole pool/patio experience, grilling, shooting the sh*t, eating, swimming, drinking, swimming, is a lot of fun with guests.

We definitely want to switch over to salt at some point, but it's not a priority for next season. I'll buy the cover before I do that, and the cost is about the same.

The pool attracts dozens of hughmongous hairy gray spiders that freak me out when I go to remove the filter cartridges. I have also removed a dead snake from the filter basket and a dead lizard from the bottom of the pool.

My wife sees me outside cleaning the leaves/filter cartridges constantly and says she wished she didn't insist on the pool. :wacko: I say I'm glad we have it and I think it's going to give us years of enjoyment.

Your pool sounds like a ton of work. I pay a pool guy to come once a week to take care of everything and it's pretty much non-maintenance for me. It's worth the $85 a month to me. Run the pump every night for about 8 hours in the off peak hours. I don't think it really affects the electric bill much at all.

Your pool sounds like a ton of work. I pay a pool guy to come once a week to take care of everything and it's pretty much non-maintenance for me. It's worth the $85 a month to me. Run the pump every night for about 8 hours in the off peak hours. I don't think it really affects the electric bill much at all.

Does that include all chemicals? I'm in if I can get a similar deal here.

Do you winterize and does the $85 cover that?

Does that include all chemicals? I'm in if I can get a similar deal here.

Do you winterize and does the $85 cover that?

Includes standard chemicals. Paid him a bit extra a couple times to shock the pool when we had a couple of our bigger dust storms a couple of times. Also paid him one time $50 to pull apart the filter cartridges and clean it up. Probably something i need to do a couple of times a year due to the dust storms. Keep in my mind my pool is not huge, just a pebbletec play pool. Maybe 20 X 35 or something and 5 1/2 ft deep. I run it the same all winter.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe