[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

God is this guy a scumbag . . .

bpwallace49

John Edwards facing indictment for allegedly breaking campaign laws to hide affair

By Holly Bailey

retweet

EmailPrint..By Holly Bailey holly Bailey – Wed May 25, 7:54 am ET

Federal prosecutors will soon indict former presidential candidate John Edwards on charges that he allegedly broke the law by using campaign cash to cover up an extramarital affair with a former campaign staffer

A source tells ABC News, that Edwards is aware of the charges, which could come down within the next two weeks, and is considering his options, including a plea bargain that could potentially prevent the case from going to trial.

The looming indictment comes a little over two years after investigators began looking into Edwards' 2008 fund-raising and payments his campaign made to Rielle Hunter, a former campaign videographer who later gave birth to his child. The government will reportedly contend Edwards allegedly used hundreds of thousands of dollars of illegal campaign contributions from a pair of wealthy contributors to hide his affair with Hunter and her subsequent pregnancy.

Andrew Young, a former top Edwards aide who initially pretended to be the father of Hunter's child and later wrote a tell-all book about his former boss, has testified repeatedly before the grand jury and is expected to be a key witness in the potential trial.

Last month, Young was spotted in Washington after reportedly meeting with prosecutors. In recent months, a parade of former top Edwards staffers have testified before a North Carolina grand jury in the case, as prosecutors have tried to determine how much Edwards knew about his campaign's finances.

In March, Edwards added former White House counsel Greg Craig, a well-known defense attorney in Washington, to his legal team.

Amid his legal troubles, Edwards has largely vanished from the public eye. Neighbors near his North Carolina home say he's stopped going to restaurants and bars in the area. The last time he was captured by cameras was at the funeral of his estranged wife Elizabeth, who died of cancer in December.

(Photo of Edwards: Jim R. Bounds/AP)

He should be sharing a cell with Charlie Rangel . . . .

For him to so cavalierly do what he did while his wife was dying/recovering/dying from cancer is a reprehensible act and is the part the most infuriates me about the whole situation.

For him to so cavalierly do what he did while his wife was dying/recovering/dying from cancer is a reprehensible act and is the part the most infuriates me about the whole situation.

By far. Cheating itself is disgusting but in that situation? Does he even qualify as human?

John Edwards

Ahnold

Bill Clinton

Who else?

I'd say Tiger Woods but that would be racist.

I'm not going to condone cheating on one's spouse, but it happens for more than one reason and at times can be understood. But to do so while one's spouse is going through what EE was going through is just reprehensible. Newt's, Arnold's, Bill's, etc... wives were not in a compromised state where they needed the support of their spouse more than anything in the world. John's was and he should be publicly flogged for doing what he did. It may sound harsh, but you think he could have at least waited until she passed, it seemed pretty inevitable.

Newt Gingrich? :wacko:

Edwards is beyond the pale as his wife was dying of cancer while he was f'king around on her, IMO

I agree 100%. My list was simply those in govt that have this mentality. These are the people running our country, yet this is the behavior they put on? Unreal. And we're supposed top think they care about "we the people"? Riiiiight.