[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best thing you've eaten out of a can

Ramhock

Back in the day before MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) that the military gives out now, we grunts got meals in a box that we called C-Rats. The BEST thing in any c-rat meal was canned pound cake (followed by canned spaghetti). I'm sure it would be pretty nasty stuff to eat now but then it was frickin' delicious. We also got little boxes with three cigarettes with each c-rat box.

For more modern fare I have to go with LennyK's Sweet Sues C&D. It's even good cold!

+1

You should try "Sofrito"

Ingredients

2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped

1 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped

10 ajies dulces peppers, tops removed

3 medium tomatoes, chopped

4 onions, cut into large chunks

3 medium heads garlic, peeled

25 cilantro leaves with stems

25 leaves recao, or culantro

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon black pepper

Directions

In a food processor, combine green peppers, red peppers ajies dulces, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Add cilantro, recao, salt, and pepper. Process to the consistency of semi-chunky salsa (not watery). Place in a ziplock freezer bag, and use as needed, or freeze in portions.

Put it in soups, stews, rice, etc

Chit, growing up my dad kept an old mayonnaise jar full of sofrito on hand at all times. He never had a food processor though. He was old school. This man could take the lid off of a can with nothing more than a kitchen knife. I don't even think I know how to sharpen a knife, let alone open cans with one. :wacko:

This:

Hormels corn beef hash

and this:

I used to love Dinty Moore beef stew, but about 5 years ago they changed the recipe and it's not nearly as good now.

Agreed on the change in recipe, though its still pretty good. I usually throw it on top of some slices of white bread.

Damn, now i'm hungry...

Chit, growing up my dad kept an old mayonnaise jar full of sofrito on hand at all times. He never had a food processor though. He was old school. This man could take the lid off of a can with nothing more than a kitchen knife. I don't even think I know how to sharpen a knife, let alone open cans with one. :tup:

:lol: Good stuff!!! My GrandMa was the same way except for the knife, I swear she just squeezed the cans open. She was a mountain of a woman!

:wacko:

+1

This is the best soup I've had. It was actually better 2 years ago before they changed their formula/recipe. It's still good, but it used to be better.

Count me in for this as well. Love the stuff.

Edited by Copeman