[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

insulating an old house

polksalet

I am still expecting the best with the wife but I really don't know what is going to happen. She may or may not be able to return to work in a month. If not we will likely have to move into my grandpa's old house in Arkie. It was built in the 30's is my best guess. I don't think it has any insulation in the exterior walls and is really pretty freaking cold in the winter. The only heat is from a couple of gas space heaters. I know it needs some insulation but I've no idea what kind or how to do it. There is a lot of info online but I don't know what to believe. I also have no idea what kind of wiring is in there. I know that some of it was rewired in the mid 60's.

Had a friend who hired a company to do foam insulation from the outside-in. They drill little holes in the brick mortar, fill the wall with expanding foam, and then patch it up after the job is done. You could hardly tell where the holes were once they were done. Not sure about cost and such.

Another friend went with the blown in cellulose by drilling hole on the inside along the top of the exterior walls and filling the gaps between studs. Did it himself. That seemed to work OK too. Just a bit of a pain to do the drywall patch and paint, but it was otherwise easy he said.

Both homes seem quiet and comfortable.

what does it cost to rewire?

kinda depends on the old wiring as well as the electrical box. also if you really want code or just a fix up. will you have to pull a permit? do you know any electricians. You could do a lot of the labor work like pulling new lines etc. your self.