[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plants you can/should prune or dig up about now

BeeR

eg roses. I know generally you prune in the spring, but can you prune now too? Reason I ask due to some have gotten "viny" ie a few branches stick way out like a long shoot and it looks bad. These are knockout roses btw. If I do it now will it mess them up later for blooming?

I'd also like to dig up my elephant ear plants - I thought we did it before the first frost but I have read after the first one. Does it matter?

eg roses. I know generally you prune in the spring, but can you prune now too? Reason I ask due to some have gotten "viny" ie a few branches stick way out like a long shoot and it looks bad. These are knockout roses btw. If I do it now will it mess them up later for blooming?

I'd also like to dig up my elephant ear plants - I thought we did it before the first frost but I have read after the first one. Does it matter?

Roses bloom on new growth, so feel free to prune them all the way back whenever you want. I had some knockouts in a confined space at the old house and was constantly pruning those long shoots all season, and they were fine. Actually made them fuller and nicer looking plants.

I havent grown elephant ears in a few years. But one years I didnt have time to mess with digging them up. I cut them off at the ground with a string mower and covered them up with a couple layers of cardboard. The next year they came back up.

I think you prune rhodedendrons right now. That's all I got.

Also, I have a couple of small cherry trees I wanna relocate, anyone have an idea when I should do that?

Right now is the ideal time. Water liberally at least twice per week until a hard frost.

Kinda what I thought. You wanna come over and dig the holes? I'll even show where the leach field for the septic system is so you can avoid it. :wacko:

I cut my knock outs way back in late winter before you get any spring growth. Hack them to about 12" off the ground. Works great. Then just a bit of shaping through the spring and summer as necessary. If I feel like it, I dead head once or twice a year to generate a spectacular display for the next month. But of course that isn't necessary for knock outs, just nice to look at.

In general, yes this is a great time to transplant so long as the ground is not frozen yet.

Some spring flowering plants should not be pruned until after they bloom or else you risk cutting off the spring flower buds. Most other trees can be pruned at any time of year and like knock outs winter can be a great time as the plants are dormant and you won't get a lot of sap running down the bark.

Edited by The Irish Doggy