[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Health Care coverage question

tazinib1

I've never had independent coverage in my life Just received my Motion Picture Industry health care package and the procedure for choosing what plan I want is going to be a daunting one. Each plan has its pro's and con's over the other.

My choices are:

MPIHP/Blue Shield

Health Net

Kaiser Paermanente

Each plan is packed with comprehensive full coverage but also each one has seperate specialty coverage. Blue Shield covers all major organ transplants. Health Net covers some things I might be using next year (60 yas of inpatient dependance recovery). And Kaiser covers covers unlimited hospital stay (the others are only 100 days in a calender year with C-Scans as well.

What went into your decision to pick a health care plan? I know each individual is different in terms of needs but I'm kinda overwhelmed here with the decision process.

ETA; Just read that Delta Care insurance covers full dentures, partials and implants. Looks like I'm switching from Delta Dental.

Also covered is all eye exams, frames and lenses if I should need glasses in the future.

$100,000 life insurance policy

Full Mental Health coverage in case FF drives me insane

Prescription meds are covered at a 20% cost to me.

This is one of the major reasons I've striven for almost 5 years to join the union.

I also have to figure out where my retirement benefits are gonna go but thats another thread altogether.

Edited by tazinib1

We don't have a choice here. We were with BCBS of Texas. They were good. My employer will be switching to United Healthcare January 1, 2012. Nobody asked my opinion and I can either pay them for health insurance or not.

When we switched, there were two plans the only difference being the deductible and co-pays.

This is a very tough decision for you Tazzy . . .

1.) Ble Cross covering organ transplants will be handy when your liver goes out due to your excessive binge drinking.

2.) You indictae that you will need the Health net dependent stuff next year.

3.) Kaiser has unlimited hospital stays for when you get jumped in an alley by the Van Buren Gang again.

Decisions decisions . . . .

There are a ton of things to consider.

Without, literally, seeing the each of the plan docs, there's no way of saying what the pros and cons are for each plan. Fine print can make a TON of difference.

Are your "normal" docs "in network"?

How much did you go to the Doctor, ER, etc over the past few years, or have you NOT gone due to lack of insurance?

What current conditions do you have which may get worse?

Plan for the unexpected.

Personally, the fact you have 3 choices blows my mind. I had two choices: take it or leave it. One plan, with supplemental dollars from the employer to help cover costs.

Personally, the fact you have 3 choices blows my mind. I had two choices: take it or leave it. One plan, with supplemental dollars from the employer to help cover costs.

Actually I have 4 but the other one is Oxford Health and is only available for Tri-State residents.

Looks like I'm gonna choose Blue Shield. It works better for my kids as well as the Obama Health Care Plan matches my plan for both of my kids for free. I like free. Plus the co-pay's are almost non existent. And whatever I choose is covered by the union at no cost to me...ever.

Edited by tazinib1