[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can you explain encryption to me?

irish

Saw this on facebook, thought it was hysterical and figured I'd share.

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/1909...tion-to-Me.html

Can You Explain Encryption to Me?

Monday, January 23, 2012

Contributed By:

Javvad Malik

Sent: 24 August 2011 10:43

To: Malik, Javvad

Subject: Encryption

Jav

I’m updating the presentation pack for this months management meeting. Can you send me a short description of encryption so the SLT can better understand the solution.

Kev

Sent: 24 August 2011 11:03

To: Thomas, Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Encryption is the process of transforming information using an algorithm to make it unreadable to anyone except those possessing special knowledge, usually referred to as a key. The result of the process is encrypted information. In many contexts, the word encryption also implicitly refers to the reverse process, decryption to make the encrypted information readable again.

Thanks,

Javvad

Sent: 24 August 2011 11:09

If I wanted the Wikipedia description I would have copied and pasted it myself. I need a more business-speak definition.

Sent: 24 August 2011 12:52

Sorry Kevin, I assumed that senior technology managers would have half a clue about technology. I have thought long and hard about this and think the easiest way to explain this would be to replace the word encryption with witchcraft. It too is misunderstood by the masses at large, but conveys a clearer message.

Witchcraft is the process of transforming information using an algorithm to make it unreadable to anyone except those possessing special knowledge, usually referred to as a key. The result of the process is witchcraft-ed information. In many contexts, the word witchcraft also implicitly refers to the reverse process, de-witchcrafting to make the witchcraft-ed information readable again.

Regards,

Javvad

Sent: 24 August 2011 13:24

stop messing around!!! I need this urgently to finalise the presentation.

Sent: 24 August 2011 14:20

Hi Kevin,

You’re right, it was naïve of me to think simply replacing one word would make it simple and easy to understand. I’ve now also amended the other words accordingly.

Witchcraft is the process of transforming a prince using a spell into a frog using special knowledge, usually referred to as a spell. The result of the process is witchcraft-ed prince who looks like a frog. In many contexts, the word witchcraft also implicitly refers to the reverse process, de-witchcrafting to make the witchcraft-ed frog a Prince again.

I’m sure you’ll find those senior managers who have daughters will particularly like this analogy and be able to understand it in its correct context now.

Regards,

Javvad

Sent: 24 August 2011 14:43

Has anyone told you that you can be a right D1CK. Sort it out NOW!

Sent: 24 August 2011 15:21

Hi Kevin,

Not, to my face to be honest. But thanks for the feedback. I assume that you are alluding to the fact I should include a pictorial description as senior managers love charts. I have corrected this for you below.

Hope this helps

http://www.j4vv4d.com/wp-content/uploads/2...ip_image002.gif

Javvad

Sent: 24 August 2011 15:37

I don’t want your stupid diagram!!!! THIS IS URGENT. Get it done NOW! I have to send this off today.

Sent: 24 August 2011 16:00

Hi Kevin,

Encryption is the process of transforming information using an algorithm to make it unreadable to anyone except those possessing special knowledge, usually referred to as a key. The result of the process is encrypted information. In many contexts, the word encryption also implicitly refers to the reverse process, decryption to make the encrypted information readable again.

Thanks,

Javvad

Sent: 24 August 2011 16:02

Was that so hard? Why couldn’t you have sent this the first time I asked instead of wasting my time.

Sent: 24 August 2011 16:43

I did…