[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Camcorder help

Chief Dick

OK, so the old Sony camcorder finally bit the big one, so I'm in the market for a new one. A quick check online shows me I have a lot to learn.

I really have no clue here. Is there any difference to the speed at which you can move a video to the computer for editing and such? I'm guessing there is.

Not sure on the budget yet: my guess is $500ish...preferebly less. We will mainly be shooting the kids in their various activities, so I don't need something super high tech. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Chief Dick

It's been a while since I've been in the market for a consumer camcorder, but yes, the new ones with flash drives make it worlds easier to not have to digitize footage. You just plug it in and copy from the drive, and it's ready to edit (this same feature costs $1,500 on my pro-camcorder, for 40GB, rather than just using miniDV tapes).

If you search amazon for "1080p camcorder", you'll find some really nice looking Sony and Canon ones from $300-400, depending on how much storage you want. There's a Canon 8 GB (for up to 3 hours of footage) for $300, with a 32GB one (up to 12 hours) for $60 more, and the Sony Handicam with 32GB for $400, but there mgiht be better deals if you dig for them.

I think my uncle just got a Samsung one for even cheaper that puts out some really nice video too, but you can't go wrong spending a little extra if you can swing it for a Canon or Sony, who always make top-notch cameras/camcorders for the price.

Go with the cheapy samsung. Dont get a hard drive with it. Most come with duel slots for the sd card. Invest in good media cards.

for editing/ down load some good software from the internet. You will find that these camcorders record in HD. Most anything you record will play on a PC/Laptop,but if you want to play/burn to standard dvd you will have to convert format. This is the stuff you look for. Anything you get will be light years ahead of your old Sony. Dont get a camcorder with a hard drive. Invest in a spare battery. SD media cards are cheap.

Go with the cheapy samsung. Dont get a hard drive with it. Most come with duel slots for the sd card. Invest in good media cards.

for editing/ down load some good software from the internet. You will find that these camcorders record in HD. Most anything you record will play on a PC/Laptop,but if you want to play/burn to standard dvd you will have to convert format. This is the stuff you look for. Anything you get will be light years ahead of your old Sony. Dont get a camcorder with a hard drive. Invest in a spare battery. SD media cards are cheap.

Do the SD cards capture video or jsut stills? Because I thought that DS's only did stills, but I could easily be wrong...

Is the cost the only reason you say to go with SD, or is there another reason a hard drive won't do the job just as well?

SD does the video. advantage over hard drive is you dont have to hook up camera to download. easy to swap out sd cards when full or when you want to change events/user. if you drop camera SD card will not fail. But the hard drive will fail.

Easy to upgrade SD cards as time goes by. 32 GB cards are reasonable price. 16 GB can be had for less than twenty. Stay away from the Sony. They used to have their own media and it was expensive. That may have changed. I bought two of the JVC listed below. 120.00 each. (deal of the day at best buy). I figured if one went bad I would have a spare and I already have the battery. So far still works and the other is still in box. Only complaint is the lens cap is not attached. No biggie. picture quality is great. Camera is plastic and feels cheap but thats the way things are now a days. If you plan on doing lots of recording in the dark you might research that before you buy a camera. many including this one needs some kind of light to record at night. Zoom is another feature that you might need to research. Zoom is fine on this one but some people want more. I got the refurb. Amazon link is for new.

JVC-Factory-Refurbished Everio High-Definition Digital Camcorder-Black-GZ-HM300BUS

Model Number: GZ-HM300BUS

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-GZ-HM300-Dual-Definition-Camcorder/dp/B0032FPX5C

Ok, that makes sense, and definitely worth it in itself just to be able to upgrade if you want more storage.

I looked it up and found the one I checked on for my uncle, I believe this is it for $260. It has an option to add a 16GB SD card for another $40, but I see a 32GB for $27 under the related items, and should be plenty enough before you have to empty and copy it to your PC/hard-drive.

Also note the other results on the page if you want it with one of those extras packages, but I agree that at least 1 extra battery, and even stand-alone charger.

I really think you'll be plenty happy with this camcorder (the footage looked pretty nice to me), and can afford to do some extras without breaking the budget.

Edited by delusions of granduer

I just got this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySport-Waterproof-Pocket-Camera/dp/B004FLL5BI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334716973&sr=8-1

Fits in your pocket, waterproof up to 3 meters and it does stills or video. Sometimes if you are moving the camera fast the videos are alittle "jerky" for the lack of a better term. Works great for videos of my boys and you just download it right to the computer.

I just got this one...

http://www.amazon.co...34716973&sr=8-1

Fits in your pocket, waterproof up to 3 meters and it does stills or video. Sometimes if you are moving the camera fast the videos are alittle "jerky" for the lack of a better term. Works great for videos of my boys and you just download it right to the computer.

Here's what it will do at about 30 mph through the woods...

http://www.facebook....&type=2

Hit the HD button on the bottom of the video and it comes in real good.

Edited by fingfootball