[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keep MJD or trade a draft pick?

malta69

So I play in a 12 team PPR keeper league where each team keeps three players unconditionally. Draft is set worst to first each round from the previous season. I finished 9th last year and therefore get to pick third each round. Here are my keepers so far:

Marshawn Lynch

Peyton Manning

Maurice Jones Drew

There really arent many other keeper worthy players than this on my roster (Wallace, Jennings, Bowe, Witten), as I had a pretty disappointing year/draft, and unfortunately I didnt trade away players for picks as I was still in contention until the last two weeks. Anyway, I've been offered my choice of Randall Cobb or Harvin from a guy who cannot keep both, however he wants a third round pick which seems steep. My thinking is that by hanging onto MJD, I'll have a pretty decent shot at nabbing a stud WR with my first pick, and essentially going WR/WR/TE in no particular order with my first three picks.

Any thoughts here? I'll gladly return the favor.

I assume the third round pick would be after the three keepers, so you'd get Cobb for essentially a 6th round pick. That's tempting, but I'm not sure it's worth dumping a second-round RB or Manning for. I'd probly stand pat, and since most teams are probly gonna keep a couple of RBs, there's a better chance of getting a Cobb-like receiver in the draft than there is getting a MJD-like RB.

You aren't trading a 3rd/6th for Harvin. You are trading a 3rd + MJD for Harvin (or Manning, but I'd keep Manning over MJD personally). Is Harvin worth a 3rd + MJD?

Who do you project at #3? What are the chances you'll just draft who you didn't keep? Because if you do that, you've just traded a 3rd round pick for nothing. You could just wait and maybe draft Cobb/Harvin at #3 and not have to give him a 3rd rounder. You're going to want a pick back, and it's going to need to be a very small downgrade. Maybe his 4th back. That's still a big upgrade for him for someone he can't keep and will get nothing out of anyway.

You aren't trading a 3rd/6th for Harvin. You are trading a 3rd + MJD for Harvin (or Manning, but I'd keep Manning over MJD personally). Is Harvin worth a 3rd + MJD?

Who do you project at #3? What are the chances you'll just draft who you didn't keep? Because if you do that, you've just traded a 3rd round pick for nothing. You could just wait and maybe draft Cobb/Harvin at #3 and not have to give him a 3rd rounder. You're going to want a pick back, and it's going to need to be a very small downgrade. Maybe his 4th back. That's still a big upgrade for him for someone he can't keep and will get nothing out of anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, this is exactly my line of thinking. Chances are awfully good that Cobb or possibly a V-Jax type falls to me at #3. I'd feel comfortable using my first few picks on WRs as there should be quite a few of the top 30 guys available on draft day.

I tend to agree with the above analysis. Your pretty set at QB and RB so you can pretty much just consentrate on WRs. Both are easily RB1 material and Peyton has been listed as a top 5 QB this year in several lists. The only drawback is MJD might be iffy with injuries, but there are going to be a lot of undrafted RB hidden talent by round 3. Take Reggie Bush for example. In several mock drafts he's still on the table in RD3. He should have a pretty good year so you should have good chances in the 3rd to pick up a good backup RB probably (depending on your draft order) the 4th as well.