[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff Implications

fuz

Looks like the playoff picture is taking shape:

The top 2 spots are locked up along with the heavily coveted week 1 playoff bye:

Bofa (11-2)

Tyreke (10-3)

Gameday (8-5) has a spot in the playoffs as well.

The other 3 spots are up for grabs.  It looks like Siel (7-6) has the highest probability to make the playoffs.  Other teams up for grabs as Stanley (6-6-1), CARboys (6-7), Feelers (6-7), JD (6-7), and Icarus (6-7) are all still in the mix with the week 14 games heavily factoring in how the playoffs will shake out.

There are too many potential outcomes for the last 3 playoff spots with so many records near the .500 mark - but, if anyone wants to do the statistics on percentages of making the playoffs, knock yourselves out.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Josh Siel said:

Just to be clear, the regular season champ is determined by point total, correct?

Yes - rule 19.4 has the tiebreaker rules just in case someone ties...

Wade's got a 27 point lead on you at the moment.

• Thanks 1

My head is hurting.  This is all conditional - especially if they officially update any points after this moment in time.

Here are the playoff seedings (as of this moment):

1 - Bofa

2 - Tyreke

3 - Feelers

4 - Gameday

5 - CARBoys

6 - Siel

First - Divisional champs.

Bofa and Tyreke are good to go on record alone.  Now we need to figure out the other division champ.

From the rules:

19.2: Divisional Season Standings Tie Breakers: If two or more teams finish the season with identical win-loss records, the following steps will be taken to determine the divisional champion.

1.       Head to Head Record

2.       Divisional Record

3.       Highest Divisional Points

4.       Highest Divisional +/- (Points For - Points Against = +/-)

5.       Highest Overall Points

6.       Highest Overall +/-

7.       Most Starting TD's

8.       Coin Toss

Head to head record is 1-1 for all three.

Divisional Record is Feelers and Bartell with 4-2 in the division.  Siel is 2-4. Siel is out for division champ.

Highest Divisional Points - Feelers scored 669, Bartell scored 502.  Feelers takes the division.

Now - the 3 wildcards for the playoffs.

Gameday is 9-5 - Gameday is the 4 seed.

Now for comparing the 7-7 teams.

From the rules: 

19.3: Non Divisional Season Standings Tie Breakers (Wildcard & Playoff Seeding Tie Breakers): If two or more teams within the league are tied and ranking is needed for wildcard or playoff seeding the following tie breakers will be applied.

2.       Highest Overall Points

3.       Highest Overall +/-

4.       Most Starting TD's

5.       Coin Toss

Head to Head Record: CARB beat both Feelers and JD (2-0).  Siel and JD are both 1-2.  CARB is the 5 seed.

Highest Overall Points: Siel (1462) beats JD (1123).  Siel is the 6 seed and JD is out.

Please double check my math...

Head to head in the DIV 2 between the 7-7 teams is as follows: 

Siel: 1-3

JD: 3-1

Feelers: 2-2 

JD beat Siel both times (Week 14 and Week 3). So JD should be the 3 seed, not Feelers

Wildcard Seeding:

last two spots between CARB, Siel, and Feelers.

Head to Head:

Carb: 2-0

Siel: 1-2

Feelers: 1-2

Siel beats Feelers on points.

3) JD

5) CARB

6) Siel

out- Feelers

Edited by Gizmo

It will be interesting to see how the playoffs shake out. Had the Bucs just drove down a few more yards and kicked a FG instead of Tom Brady throwing a walk-off TD, Stanley Morgan would be in the playoffs with a 7-6-1 record as he would have won last week. Is there a place to view the playoff bracket on the MFL app? 

Div. 2 Head-To-Head:

JD:           3-1   (Wins Wks. 3, 12 & 14) (Losses Wks. 13)

Feelers:   2-2   (Wins Wks. 12 & 13) (Losses Wks. 1, 2)

Siel:         1-3   (Wins Wks. 1) (Losses Wks. 3, 12 & 14)

I agree w/ Sam, JD Win's Div. 2 champion (Seed #3) not Feelers.

Wildcard Seeding:

last two spots between CARB, Siel, and Feelers.

Head to Head:

Carb:       2-0  (Beat Feelers (Wk. 4) & (Beat Siel (Wk. 5))

Siel:        1-2  (Beat Feelers (Wk. 1) (Lost to CARB (Wk. 5) (Lost to Feelers (Wk.12))

Feelers:  1-2  (Lost to Siel (Wk. 1) (Lost to CARB (Wk. 5) (Beat Siel (Wk.12))

CAR Boys wins 2nd wild card (Seed #5) via head-to-head.

Highest overall Points:

last wild card spots between Siel and Feelers.

Siel:        1462 total Points 

Feelers:  1362 total Points

Siel wins 3rd wild card (Seed #6) via total points.

I would agree w/ Sam's assessment of the wildcard seedings.

3) JD

5) CARB

6) Siel

out- Feelers

Edited by Gizmo

For the record, next offseason ......We may want to propose and vote to amend the rules of:

19.2: Divisional Season Standings Tie Breakers: If two or more teams finish the season with identical win-loss records, the following steps will be taken to determine the divisional champion.

My proposal would be:

to switch the tie breakers 1 & 2 of the place the 1st divisional tie breaker to be

1)      Divisional Record

2)      Head-to-Head

Thanks for double-checking my math.  I wondered if I had it right.

Here are the playoff seedings (as of this moment):

1 - Bofa

2 - Tyreke

3 - JD

4 - Gameday

5 - CARBoys

6 - Siel

First - Divisional champs.

Bofa and Tyreke are good to go in their respective divisions on record alone. 

Now we need to figure out the other division champ.  From the rules:

3.       Highest Divisional Points

4.       Highest Divisional +/- (Points For - Points Against = +/-)

5.       Highest Overall Points

6.       Highest Overall +/-

7.       Most Starting TD's

8.       Coin Toss

Head to head record:  JD 3-1, Feelers 2-2, Siel 1-3.  JD is the Division Champ.

Now - the 3 wildcards for the playoffs.

Gameday is 9-5 - Gameday is the 4 seed.

Now to compare the remaining 7-7 teams (CARBoys, Siel, Feelers).  From the rules: 

19.3: Non Divisional Season Standings Tie Breakers (Wildcard & Playoff Seeding Tie Breakers): If two or more teams within the league are tied and ranking is needed for wildcard or playoff seeding the following tie breakers will be applied.

2.       Highest Overall Points

3.       Highest Overall +/-

4.       Most Starting TD's

5.       Coin Toss

Head to Head Record: CARB is 2-0.  Feelers is 1-2.  Siel is 1-2.  CARB is the 5 seed.

Highest Overall Points: Siel (1462) beats Feelers (1362).  Siel is the 6 seed and Feelers is out.

Please double check my math...again...before I log this into the playoff bracket.

Based on the rules, that playoff list is correct. I do think we need to consider changing the tie break order next year. To me, head to head works in the NFL because it is an indication who is actually better. In fantasy you can just be unlucky and have a lousy week. To me total points is a better indicator. For example this year TF scored over 200 more points total compared to CAR and JD, but gets left out of the playoffs. Just my thoughts for next year.

21 minutes ago, BoffaDeeznutz said:

Based on the rules, that playoff list is correct. I do think we need to consider changing the tie break order next year. To me, head to head works in the NFL because it is an indication who is actually better. In fantasy you can just be unlucky and have a lousy week. To me total points is a better indicator. For example this year TF scored over 200 more points total compared to CAR and JD, but gets left out of the playoffs. Just my thoughts for next year.

I agree with this. Overall record is still going to be the first metric for seeding.

I think having point total as Tiebreaker #1 would make things less complicated as well. The chances of 2-3 teams having the same record AND the same point total are pretty slim.

Food for thought (not that I believe one way or another - just mentioning this to keep another perspective in mind):

I'm in another league that I'm tied (7-6) with someone that has more points scored than me on the season, but I have beaten them twice in the regular season.  The other division in our conference has a 10-3 team and 9-4 team.  With a switch in tiebreaker priority that is being proposed here, I would be out of the playoffs, 2nd of 3 in my division, even though I beat that team twice. 

If we put the priority on points in the regular season right after overall record, what happens when one of the playoff teams scores more points than all but one of the other teams in the first round of the playoffs - yet still loses to the team that scores more points?  Effectively, they got to the playoffs by total points tiebreaker but lost in the first round of the playoffs head to head.  Is this fair?

I'm not sure how easy it may be to create an exactly equitable situation.  I'm not sure simplifying is the right answer.

Let's keep the dialogue going.  Keep thinking.  I'm on board with whatever we agree on as a league.

Edited by fuz
simplified second paragraph to make some sort of sense.