[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Burress' impact on the opposing defense

steeler

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05012/440913.stm

I'm not making excuses (hell, I don't have to since the Steelers won all their games with Burress out of the lineup)... but the Jets D didn't have to contend with Burress in their first meeting and they stacked the line of scrimmage to stop the run. They won't have that luxury with Burress back in the lineup.

Said Roethlisberger: "Anytime that Plax isn't playing you miss him. That's a no-brainer. Even if he catches no balls, he is an influence on the defense tremendously. So, it's going to be great to have him back on the field."

Burress' absence influenced the way the Jets played defense Dec. 12, Jerome Bettis said, and his presence will alter that again Saturday.

"You're going to see some cover-2 at times, and there's going to be times when they hope they catch us throwing the football," Bettis said, "as opposed to keeping eight guys in the box like the first game they played us.

"They said we're going to keep an eighth guy up there and make it difficult for you guys to run the football. This game, I think they have to be a little more leery about what's going on upstairs."

<snip>

"It just gives them another dimension they'll have to implement into their game plan, as far as game-planning with a healthy Plax out there."

In case anyone forgot, Burress flashed his big-play talent Dec. 26 against Baltimore after he missed the previous four games. He caught a 36-yard touchdown pass to end the Steelers' first series and finished with three catches for 97 yards.

Burress' impact on the Jets D and a week of rest will allow the Steelers to win this game and take another step toward a Super Bowl championship.

:D

When he didn't play in the finale, was that simply a precautionary thing, or was he still not 100%?

651208[/snapback]

They sat him down in the finale because it was a meaningless game, which they ended up beating down the Bills with thier JV Team.

Burress I think will have a huge impact on this game. The Jets will have to account for him deep which means the Safety Tounge won't be close to the line to get ran over again by the Bus!

Precaution only.  He isn't even listed on the injury report for this week.

651234[/snapback]

Agreed. He had a very good week prior to the Bills game where he sat out. I'd guess that he's close to 100% by now.

Plax is a deep threat (just ask the Pats :D ) and opposing defense will not be able to cheat their safeties up to the line all day.