[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts take a cornerback!

CaptainHook

Usually the Colts don't even look at drafting cornerbacks until the third round, but they stepped up today and took Marlin Jackson with their first round choice. Anybody want to offer some insights on him? Or copy and paste the info from ESPN insider? :D

Strengths: Is a big, physical corner. Is at his best pressing WR's. Has the confidence and mentality you look for in a DC. Can play zone or man-coverage. Is also experienced and has great success covering the slot WR. Has good height, bulk and strength. Is experienced at DC and DS. Has good upper body strength and power. Impressive 23 reps on the 225-pound bench press at the combine. Will challenge WR's and isn't afraid to get physical in coverage. He matches up extremely well against bigger receivers. Will get in receivers' faces at the LOS. Does an excellent job in terms of his technique in press technique and will consistently take receivers out of their routes. He does a great job with his hands in terms of dictating WR's routes. He has excellent balance and shows great burst out of his pedal. Also has impressive short-area quickness and COD skills for his size. Breaks hard on the ball in front of him. Shows excellent closing burst when coming forward. He is fluid and smooth. Shows the ability to turn and run with most receivers. A solid tackler with good size, strength and toughness in run support. Shows power at the POA and isn't afraid to mix it up.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed. Makes too many over-aggressive moves and won't have the pure speed to recover in the NFL. His recognition skills and ability to read quarterback's eyes must improve. He will gamble too much in man coverage and will get caught out of position. Doesn't show good ball skills. Is around the ball a lot but doesn't make enough big plays. Has some character and durability concerns. Also has been inconsistent on the field. Did not make a smooth transition to FS in 2003 and is a much better fit at DC. He does not look as natural and comfortable in a lot of space at DS.

Overall: Jackson played in 11 games and started seven as a true freshman. He started every game at cornerback in 2003 and set a record with six passes broken up vs. Washington and Reggie Williams (Jaguars 1st round pick in 2004) in the season opener. Jackson was suspended for the first game of the 2003 season. The suspension came after Jackson was charged with assault regarding an on-campus incident in which he allegedly punched a fellow student. Jackson then moved to FS as a junior in 2003 because of team needs. He missed three more games due to a leg injury and finished with 50 tackles, two interceptions and four passes broken up. He moved back to cornerback in 2004, where he started all 12 games and finished with 47 total tackles, six tackles for loss, one INT and four PBU. Jackson's experience at safety gives him more versatility. However, in our opinion, he is a better NFL prospect at the cornerback position. Jackson has had some trouble off the field and his play on the field was inconsistent throughout his career. He also lacks ideal speed and has not shown enough playmaking ability in coverage. However, he has the size, strength, athletic ability, man-to-man cover skills and confidence to develop into a starter in the NFL, which is why he grades out as a late-first or early-second round draft prospect in 2005.

How 'bout their second pick CB Kelvin Hayden from Illinois or their third rounder Vincent Burns DT from Kentucky?  :D

791471[/snapback]

Hayden seemed like a big stretch, but I don't question anything Polian does anymore with his track record (ignoring Rob Morris). I wish they would have taken Mike Patterson DT, USC in the first round because I believe he would really make a difference on the line that is already getting pretty good.

A middle linebacker would have been helpful an I wonder why they took Hayden instead of Crowder? He was a possible 1st rounder and to see him fall into the third round. Why wouldn't the Colts take him in the late 2nd?

As far as Crowder goes, I guess there were some serious concern about his knees. I was surprised they passed on him in the second round as well. I love the fact they took a corner in the first. I never thought they'd do it, considering the disdain they've treated cornerbacks with in the last few drafts (third round and later). I thought they were going to take Shaun Cody with their first pick.

You are right about not questioning Polian though. He is a whiz. Although I would throw Idrees Bashir in the same "bust" category as Morris.

I was surprised as well by the next two picks. I thought they went early on third-rounder Vincent Burns, especially with Blackstock still on the board. But I trust the Colts scouting. They've been right A LOT more than they've been wrong.

I think the Colts move Donald Strickland back to free safety next year. He and Sanders will be the starters with Doss as the back-up. The starting corners will probably be Marlin Jackson and Nick Harper, with Joseph Jefferson, Jason David, and Kelvin Hayden battling for the nickel and dime spots. Plenty of depth there now.

Hopefully Burns is the run-stopper he is advertised to be. I'm not sure the Colts have helped the front 4 much. Colts are still young at linebacker too. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

Hopefully Burns is the run-stopper he is advertised to be.  I'm not sure the Colts have helped the front 4 much.  Colts are still young at linebacker too. . .

791509[/snapback]

I'm hoping they take McCune from Louisville in the 4th round. 4.5 speed with good college numbers at Louisville. As long as they take some kind of linebacker some point soon today...

Strickland back at Safety makes sense, but I still think Sanders at FS with Doss at SS makes a tough tandem. Sanders has the speed to play there well and Strickland is plenty solid as a backup as well. Being a bit weak at LB, I think its important to have hard-hitters at both safety spots.

Doss is a liability in coverage. He is a hard-hitter, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy. We didn't see enough of Sanders at FS last year, 'cause he was always subbed in for an injured Doss. And then Sanders got hurt. I think the Colts see Sanders as a bigger hitter than Doss, but also better in coverage. But I'm not sure he is rangy enough to be the FS. Of course, he couldn't be any worse than Idrees Bashir. Of course, as athletic as Kelvin Hayden is, maybe he is in the FS mix as well. Regardless, the Colts finally have some size, speed, and depth for the secondary.

How 'bout their second pick CB Kelvin Hayden from Illinois or their third rounder Vincent Burns DT from Kentucky?  :D

791471[/snapback]

Kelvin Hayden

CB | (5'10", 197, 4.48) | ILLINOIS

Strengths: A developmental prospect with some upside. Has adequate overall size. Is well-built and strong. Is a smooth athlete with very good quickness, COD skills and body control. Explodes out of his pedal and has very good short area quickness when closing. Also has excellent hands and overall ball skills as a former WR. Has very good upper body strength. Shows the potential to develop good press coverage skills. Is willing in run support and is very tough. Has developed good tackling skills for such limited experience. Has the potential to contribute on special teams, both covering and returning kicks.

Weaknesses: Is inexperienced and raw. Lacks ideal footwork and needs to improve his technique in press coverage. Is well-built but lacks ideal height. Has decent speed but not good speed. He also has some mental capacity concerns.

Overall: Hayden signed with Illinois out of high school but did not qualify academically, so he attended Joliet Junior College (IL). His team won the NJCAA national championship in 2001, when he finished with 42 receptions as a WR. He won the NJCAA Offensive Player of the Year in 2002, when he finished with 72 receptions en route to another national championship. Hayden transferred to Illinois in the fall of 2003 and started 10 games at WR (52 receptions for 592 yards and three TD's). He moved to cornerback in the spring of 2004, wound up starting all 11 games and finished with 71 tackles, four INT's and six PBU. Hayden is an intriguing developmental player with adequate size and speed, good natural athletic ability and terrific ball skills. He obviously lacks ideal experience at the DI-A level, not to mention only one year at the cornerback position. He will need more time than most to refine his technique and make the transition to the NFL. However, he has the physical tools to develop into a mid-round steal if the team that drafts him is patient and gives him a lot of good coaching and attention. In the meantime he has the strength, toughness and tackling skills to contribute covering kickoffs and punts, and he also has shown flashes returning kicks.

Vincent Burns

DE | (6'0", 267, 4.89) | KENTUCKY

Strengths: Is a high-motor defensive lineman with very good initial quickness and agility. He has good anticipation skills and recognition skills. He's at his best on the move and can be an extremely disruptive as a one-gap penetrator. He consistently gets penetration inside and does a very good job of finding the football once he gets through the LOS. He has a nose for the ball and is excellent in pursuit for a DL. He has closing burst when chasing the ball carrier or rushing the passer. He also is a powerful tackler.

Weaknesses: Is short and might struggle to find a niche in the NFL. He is too short and lacks great speed as a traditional DE in a 4-3. He lacks the bulk of a traditional DT in a 4-3 and he lacks the athleticism and experience dripping in coverage to move to a LB position. Has shorter arms and struggles to get off of blocks when he doesn't win with first-step quickness. Needs to remain on the move to be effective. Will get engulfed a lot more in the NFL, especially if trying to penetrate from the inside. He needs to improve his hand usage and also needs to increase his array of pass rush moves.

Overall: Burns began his collegiate career at Northern Arizona and saw time as a true freshman backup in 2000 before transferring to Kentucky and sitting out the 2001 season. Burns became an immediate starter as a sophomore in 2002 and he played in and started all 24 games that he was eligible for at Kentucky from 2002-'03. Burns had his best season as a junior in 2003 with an SEC-leading 18 tackles for loss, but he struggled more as a senior in 2004, when he missed two games and finished with just 4.5 tackles for loss and zero sacks. Burns reminds us a lot of Anthony Adams, a second round pick of the 49ers in 2003. He is a 'tweener DE/DT that may never be more than a "wave" player as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. However, he could be an early second day steal if he slips due to a poor senior season, as he has the initial quickness, speed for his size, high motor and penetration skills to contribute as a versatile "wave" player in the NFL.