[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookies should sign earlier

Skilly

I agree with him! Why does it take so long to sign? Start the process in earnest in May and get everyone signed by training camp! It seems like the process drags on forever! :D

Edited by Chargerz

Its all about their agents negotiating signing bonuses and incentive laiden contracts.

By Pat Kirwan

NFL.com Senior Analyst (Aug. 5, 2004)

The top of the NFL draft this past spring has produced some of the biggest contracts in NFL history. The back end of these contracts can inflate deals already worth close to $40 million each to levels close to $60 million.

There is a notion by the players and their representatives that the incentives in these contracts should be attainable. That's not entirely true. They should not be impossible to achieve but they should represent excellence. As one GM said to me, "You never hear a player or agent say if we don't live up to the original contract we'll give some money back." Another GM said, "Some guys act like they deserve $40 million because we drafted them instead of thinking they have to play well for it."

Six years from now, close to half of the first-round picks will either be out of football or on their second or third team trying to keep their careers alive.

I've negotiated a few high first-round contracts. I built the back-end incentives around the player becoming an elite player in this league. If a top draft pick is a quality starter and a good contributor to the team, his base contract is enough. One of our top picks said he was going to be one of the top five players at his position of all time. I responded to that statement by designing the back end around levels that were the average of the top five players at his position. We would have been glad to pay extra if he reached those numbers; he never did.

As I reviewed a number of the first-round contracts this year with one GM, I came across one incentive that made both of us chuckle a bit. It said if the team was no worse than fifth from the bottom in the conference in a number of statistical categories, and the player played at least 35 percent of the plays, and the player played in zero Pro Bowls, his salary in 2010 would be $10.3 million if the club exercised the option bonus to extend the contract. That is achievable! But is it a reason to pay the player more than he already received? By the way, if he reaches all the above parameters and plays in one Pro Bowl, his salary will be $20.3 million!

It's all about the negotiation. The more money they get, the more percentage the agent gets. Greedy Bast@rds!