[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts sign Marlin Jackson

CaptainHook

The Indianapolis Colts avoided the type of major training-camp migraine they endured last summer, agreeing to contract terms today with first-round draft pick Marlin Jackson.

Doug Hendrickson, Jackson's agent, confirmed his client accepted a five-year, $6.975 million contract that will allow him to report Wednesday afternoon with the rest of the team to Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute for the start of training camp. The team declined comment.

"Marlin is excited and the Colts are excited," Hendrickson said. "We're really happy we got it done."

Jackson, the 29th overall pick in the April draft, will receive a total of $4.38 million in a two-tiered signing bonus as well as option and reporting bonuses. There also are escalators in the fifth year that could funnel another $3 million to Jackson.

He will sign the deal Wednesday morning, then drive to Terre Haute.

"He wanted to be there on time," Hendrickson said.

The resolution of the Jackson negotiations left the Colts with four draft picks still unsigned as of late today: cornerback Kelvin Hayden (second round), offensive lineman Rob Hunt (fifth round), linebacker Tyjuan Hagler (fifth round) and running back Anthony Davis (seventh round).

Only players under contract are allowed to report to training camp.

Jackson is expected to challenge for a starting cornerback spot as a rookie. He now will have a full training camp to facilitate that opportunity, which wasn't the case with last year's top pick.

Safety Bob Sanders, the 44th overall selection in the 2004 draft, missed the first 29 days of preseason work -- including the Colts' entire stint at Rose-Hulman -- while his contract was being hammered out. He was the last of the league's 255-player draft class to reach contract agreement.

Jackson's primary competition for playing time figures to come from Nick Harper, Donald Strickland and Jason David. Jackson was unavailable for comment today, but made it clear while participating in the Colts' offseason program he considers himself a quality addition to the team's secondary.

"I think I bring competitiveness and a lot of physicality to the secondary," Jackson said. "I'm a guy who can cover as well as hit, a guy who loves to come up and make the big plays, the big hits."

At the University of Michigan, Jackson started 39 of 45 career games while splitting time between cornerback and safety. As a senior, he collected 47 tackles, one sack and one interception. Jackson had nine interceptions during his career.

link

Edited by CaptainHook

Colts signed their last two picks today. Second rounder Kelvin Hayden and seventh rounder Anthony Davis. All 10 of the Colts draft picks are now signed and in camp. This has not happened in a while. Colts reported to camp today. First practice is tomorrow. I plan on making my annual camp visit, and will provide an update.

Edited by CaptainHook