[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling all fantasy/roto *BASEBALL* players

msaint

Folks, doing a little research for work and wanted to ask you avid FF players here:

1. Do you also play fantasy baseball? What kind (Roto/total points scoring, head-to-head, 5x5, 7x7, etc...)

2. Why do you play? To keep up that competitive spirit after FF season is over? Just to keep interested in baseball?

3. If you don't play, why not? Is it too "intimidating" or complicated with all the crazy scoring categories? Is it too time-consuming as compared to FF? Is it even "nerdier" than FF?

4. What do you like about fantasy baseball that you don't about fantasy football, or vice versa?

5. If you don't play, what might change your mind about playing this upcoming baseball season?

6. Any other general thoughts about your experiences with fantasy baseball?

Thanks for any input. :D

And no, before you can say it, this is not research for another crappy fantasy book...: :D

1. Yep. Total points

2. I don't watch baseball. I do enjoy the research/competition though. I play fantasy hockey as well for the same reasons. Keeps me in the fantasy loop year round.

3. x

4. Gotta pay a lil more attention to FB/FH since they play several times/week

5. x

6. You don't have to watch it to enjoy it. Plenty of free resources available to allow research and keep you competitive.

1. Do you also play fantasy baseball? What kind (Roto/total points scoring, head-to-head, 5x5, 7x7, etc...)

I play Espn and CBS Head to Head scoring...1 team in each.

2. Why do you play? To keep up that competitive spirit after FF season is over? Just to keep interested in baseball?

I am a bigtime baseball fan so it only seems like the natural thing to do.

3. If you don't play, why not? Is it too "intimidating" or complicated with all the crazy scoring categories? Is it too time-consuming as compared to FF? Is it even "nerdier" than FF?

It is a very time consuming because it is daily thing especially if you are "floating pitchers" like I do in Espn. But I make the time because I love it so much!

4. What do you like about fantasy baseball that you don't about fantasy football, or vice versa?

Like I said baseball is almost always an everyday thing during the season, while football is not. There is always something new going on and new maneuvers to make.

5. If you don't play, what might change your mind about playing this upcoming baseball season?

------------

I say if you haven't played fantasy baseball and you have the time give it a shot. I have been playing since 2002 and have loved it ever since! I have pretty much mastered Espn 5x5 and am confident I can beat almost anyone there! It would be great if we could get a group of Huddlers to compete this coming season!!!

My Espn Stats :D

2004 Fantasy Baseball League Winner

2005 Fantasy Baseball League Winner

2006 Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Yes. Head-to-Head 6x6

Because I enjoy it. I started playing about 4 years ago in a work league. It fell apart about 2 years ago, but I was invited to play in a Huddle League (Phily Area FBL) about the same time, so I have about 4 years experience.

Most people I have talked to don't play because:

a. Takes way too much time

b. Doesn't like Baseball

FB is more challenging then FF. 90% of FF is about the draft. After that, unless someone like a Colston pops out the WW is usually picked clean. Also, in FF one or two players can carry a team.

You need a good draft in FB but that only accounts for about 50%. The rest is made from WW and trades. Lots of trading in FB (and side betting), makes it more interesting. You also need to balance your team no 1-2 players are going to carry your team to the championship. Also, each game takes a week to play, so you are engaged all week moving players in and out of your lineup.

Much tougher then FB, but also more fun. Also you don't have to be a big baseball fan. The same research skills you use to prepare for a FF draft can be applied to FB. You just need to stay on top of it over the course of the season.

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Folks, doing a little research for work and wanted to ask you avid FF players here:

yes, head to head and Roto last year but prefer head to head although I won a huddle Roto league last year :D

2. Why do you play? To keep up that competitive spirit after FF season is over? Just to keep interested in baseball? Interest in baseball plus it's almost everyday so you can watch baseball tonight and get instand gratification or not.

3. If you don't play, why not? Is it too "intimidating" or complicated with all the crazy scoring categories? Is it too time-consuming as compared to FF? Is it even "nerdier" than FF? I may stop next year, everyday is too much at time and the season really drags come July, Aug, Sept especially if your team isn't in contention.

4. What do you like about fantasy baseball that you don't about fantasy football, or vice versa? Baseball is too long and too involved at times. Once a week lineups adjustments helps though.

5. If you don't play, what might change your mind about playing this upcoming baseball season? N/A

6. Any other general thoughts about your experiences with fantasy baseball? Try not to do too many transactions. Players go through hot and cold streaks but at the end of the year should accumulate the stats you want.

Thanks for any input. :D

And no, before you can say it, this is not research for another crappy fantasy book...: :bash:

Yes, I do play fantasy baseball. I started out doing roto years ago. That was fun, but I'm in a head-to-head league now (1 keeper). We did 9 x 9 the first year (crazy) and 6 x 6 last year.

I love baseball. It's hard to live in the Boston area and not be a rabid baseball fan. :D I also like the everyday aspect of fantasy baseball and the fact that the head-to-head matchups are a week long. You can be way behind at the start of the week and make a huge comeback at the end. Also, because the matchups are a week long, there is more strategy involved in winning each week.

I really love both games. Fantasy baseball is a lot more work than fantasy football. By the end of the baseball season, I'm totally burnt out. Fantasy football is a very nice change of pace. It's not as frenetic. There's a whole week to research stuff and think over who to start.