[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looks like Philly found the kryptonite

Cowboyz1

Um, because it's pretty much the same defense. Belichick switches up his game-planning all of the time. Last night, he was conceding the middle of the field and protecting the sidelines for whatever reason. Westbrook, who is covered by a linebacker, doesn't dictate what NE's defensive backs do.

But he does dictate what the LBs do. Without Westbrook, the LBs would be freed up to blitz, man, zone, or whatever. LBs get a lot of sacks AND interceptions in BB-designed defenses, because he moves them around and they are never in the same place. With their focus on containing Westbrook, they were limited in their variations, and more likely to pay attention to him to avoid the big play. Addai absolutely KILLED them a few weeks back, they were making sure Westy didn't beat them the same way and gave up the middle to subpar WRs as consequence.

But this is the beauty of the game, we can argue until we are blue in the face about why teams do certain things, or why what went down did--without any confirmation of who is right, both are right, or both are wrong.

I enjoy this type of argument Bill, but I still don't agree with your take! :D

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't the Patriots D been bend but don't break for a few years now? They don't have to shut you down they just have to slow you down and have the Offense win the game. Alot of their success this year has been due to the early leads and teams going one dimensional.

Well, I wouldn't say that they've historically leaned on their offense to win games, but they certainly stiffen up in the red zone. They're particularly tough to score on inside the 10.

If a team can stay with the Patriots early you'll see more competetive games. The next step is stopping that O enough to out score them. Alot harder then it sounds.

Agreed, but I think that it'll be a little easier outdoors as the weather goes downhill. Favre notwithstanding, cold/snow/sleet and pass-heavy offenses typically don't mix well ('04 Colts, '00 Vikings, '81 Chargers). I wouldn't necessarily expect them to put up 40+ points per game from here on out.

Bill said it was a difference between "inside v outside technique". You just decided that it was "inside" technique. And Madden was saying that the New England secondary normally plays an outside technique. Which would imply that the inside routes would be there for most offenses. Not just because the Eagles had Westbrook and they were focused on him.

This is just what the broadcast was saying. Maybe I got it wrong, but that's how I understood it.

Of course any defense out there would be focused on Westbrook. Just as the Eagles were focused on Moss.

I didn't decide ANYTHING, which is why I put it in quotes. I shortened it up for the sake of time. You are attacking a semantical error and agreeing with me at the same time. Sheesh.

I didn't decide ANYTHING, which is why I put it in quotes. I shortened it up for the sake of time. You are attacking a semantical error and agreeing with me at the same time. Sheesh.

Ay carumba. Not sure where to start so I'll just bail.

More turkey anyone?

But he does dictate what the LBs do. Without Westbrook, the LBs would be freed up to blitz, man, zone, or whatever. LBs get a lot of sacks AND interceptions in BB-designed defenses, because he moves them around and they are never in the same place. With their focus on containing Westbrook, they were limited in their variations, and more likely to pay attention to him to avoid the big play. Addai absolutely KILLED them a few weeks back, they were making sure Westy didn't beat them the same way and gave up the middle to subpar WRs as consequence.

Westbrook dictates what ONE linebacker does. They have three more to drop back into coverage, blitz, or do whatever they want with. I wouldn't call that a severe restriction of their defensive playbook. Belichick always loads up on one or sometimes two players (e.g., Witten in the Cowboys game, Clark in the Colts game) at the expense of opening up the field for other players. That's his trademark. Smart play-callers like Reid find ways to exploit it. Idiots like Mike Martz throw the ball with six defenders dropped back into coverage.

Westbrook dictates what ONE linebacker does. They have three more to drop back into coverage, blitz, or do whatever they want with.

Agreed. But only in a man-to-man situation. If Westy goes running through the zone, they would all be aware of it.

So we agree that the Eagles took what the Patriots gave them? In other words, giving up the middle.

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

So we agree that the Eagles took what the Patriots gave them? In other words, giving up the middle.

Absolutely. And I'll go further and say that Belichick grossly underestimated Feeley and Reid. He didn't even seem to make an adjustment at the half, and it almost cost them the game.

Absolutely. And I'll go further and say that Belichick grossly underestimated Feeley and Reid. He didn't even seem to make an adjustment at the half, and it almost cost them the game.

I was waiting for the big halftime adjustment that would bring the hammer crashing down. I'm still waiting. :D

Are you kidding? McNabb was out with a torn ACL, from which he is still recovering.

Back to topic, you guys are not mentioning the one thing the Eagles have that no other team does: Brian Westbrook.

exactly. and Westbrook is one of the main reasons the Eagles could do what they did on offense.

the Patriots planned for him all week and Eagles hardly used him,52/40 and a TD...way under used

for his stature....but that was the plan...and the Patriots had the screen handled

so any teams going forward better have a top 5 running back in their backfield if they want

to try and execute the 'blueprint'....