[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Overall Best IDP Rookie

I am in a league where we can only draft rookies, year after year, and I have this years first pick on the Defensive Draft in our league. We play LB, DB, and DL, starting 2 LB's, 1 DB, 1DL, and new this year, 1 FLEX Defensive player. I have on my roster currently DeMeco Ryans , and DeMarcus Ware, and Ahmed Brooks as my LB's and Kerry Rhodes, and Jimmy Williams as DB's, ( which I will drop Jimmy) and I have Quentin Moses, and Jarvis Moss as my DL guys, both of which may or may not be cut. Obviously I need help at DB and DL, but as everyone knows LB's are the point hogs, so it's hard for me to pass up a #1 LB ! But...I also know I need to do what is best for this team in the long run. So, knowing having the 1st overall pick on IDP, which direction would you go if this were your team? Thank You in advance for your opinions!

Keith Rivers looks like a potential beast as does Jerrod Mayo at LB but if you need to fill your DL/DB first, then I'd seriously consider the following 2:

Chris Long DE Rams or

Brandon Flowers DB Chiefs (my personal favorite and the one I recommend you draft).

Others will tell you to take the best LB or draft Long but if you are hurting that badly at DB, Flowers is an IMMEDIATE 100+ tackle potential IDP as a rookie.

Need more info here.

How many teams?

Scoring?

Straight line or serpentine draft?

Can you trade your picks?

We have 12 teams, I will post the scoring, we are straight line and no trades. It is a rookie only league.

Thanks.

Number of Punt Return TDs 1-99 6 points each

Punt Return Yards -99-999 0.1 point for every 2.5

Number of Kickoff Return TDs 1-99 6 points each

Kickoff Return Yards -99-999 0.1 point for every 2.5

Fumbles Lost (to Opponent) 1-99 -3 points each

Number of Defensive Fumble Recovery TDs 1-99 6 points each

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 1-99 2 points each

Number of Offensive Fumble Recovery TDs 1-99 6 points each

Forced Fumbles 1-99 2 points each

Number of Interception Return TDs 1-99 6 points each

Interceptions Caught 1-99 2 points each

Passes Defensed 1-99 1 point each

Number of Blocked Field Goal TDs 1-99 6 points each

Number of Missed Field Goal Return TDs 0-10 6 points each

Length of Missed Field Goal Return TD 0-110 .1 point for every 2.5

Number of Blocked Punt TDs 1-99 6 points each

Tackles 0.5-99 1 point each

Assists 1-99 0.5 points each

Sacked a QB 0.5-99 3 points each

Safeties 1-99 2 points each

Here's what I do with that.

Take the best LB 1st overall. There is extensive argument on this site and others who that best LB is. Personally, I'm liking Lofton or Mayo for their immediate impact. I think that getting an LB is important as I would not be comfortable rolling out Ahmad Brooks in my flex spot.

At 2.01, I target the best DL available. Seeing as how you only need to start 1 DB, you can limp along with Rhodes as your starter moreso than your DL spot can with J Moss or Moses. C Long and D Harvey are likely long gone so I look to Glenn Dorsey, Lawrence Jackson, Quentin Groves or Kentwan Balmer maybe even Calais Campbell. I'm avoiding Gholston as a potential pick as I doubt that he remains a DL.

At 3.01, pick up your DB depth. Phillips and a few of the top tier corners are probably gone at this point. Look for the aforementioned Flowers, newly crowned starter (albeit due to injury) Tyrell Johnson or even a guy like Aqib Talib, Josh Barrett or Mike Jenkins. I'm also liking Chevis Jackson to get into the Falcon's lineup sooner rather than later.

He already said there are no trades.

Okay...I appreciate all the advice, and still welcome more. But after reading some of these post, and doing some research, I think I will go with Lofton at LB as long as he remains healthy between now and September 3rd!

Thanks guys!

• 3 weeks later...
Okay...I appreciate all the advice, and still welcome more. But after reading some of these post, and doing some research, I think I will go with Lofton at LB as long as he remains healthy between now and September 3rd!

Thanks guys!

Well...I ended up with Lofton AND Flowers! Had a great defensive draft! We'll see how they pan out, but I like my results!

+1

Should have waited until he posted his league settings. Seeing as this a straight line, your in a good position to get a solid DE with the 2.01. You can ALWAYS find a suitable DB in the WW fodder.

Draft defensive lineman and DB's much later. Taz you overvalue these players especially CB's.