[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Mess that is Tyrone Willingham

Pope Flick

Coaches wish list:

Pat Hill, Fresno State: He will come highly recommended by Saban. When Saban needed an offensive coordinator after Major Applewhite left for Texas, he called Hill, and Hill told him to hire Fresno State's offensive coordinator Jim McElwain. That move worked out well.

Will Muschamp, defensive coordinator Texas: Emmert saw firsthand how Muschamp coached as defensive coordinator at LSU and saw his Saban-esque personality/charisma. It might be too hard to get Muschamp away from the South, where the Clemson job is more appealing because there's less heavy lifting.

Jim Mora, Seattle Seahawks assistant: The former UW player is an obvious choice but already has been named coach-in-waiting with the Seahawks. There's likely more security in the Huskies' job, but getting Mora would cost a ton.

Gary Pinkel, Missouri: A former UW assistant, Pinkel has accomplished too much at Mizzou -- on the field and off it with facilities -- to walk away from Columbia. He still has close friends in Seattle, so the possibility always is there.

Lane Kiffin, former Oakland Raiders coach: If the priority is recruiting -- and it should be -- Kiffin is at the top of the list. He doesn't have the dominating personality of Hill, Muschamp and Mora.

Matt Hayes is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at mhayes@sportingnews.com.

That is a "wish" list, but I don't know if it's realistic. Mora has an NFL job and would be insane if he gave up a shot with the Seahawks. Muschamp is an SEC/ACC/Texas guy and I have a hard time believing that he wants to go west when there will be plenty of shots at Clemson, or Texas Tech, or Tennessee, or wherever there will be openings come mid-December. As much as he may have been wronged by the Raiders, the fact is that Kiffin was looking for other jobs during his first season in his first head coaching job, and I can't see anyone trusting him with the keys to anything until he proves himself in another capacity.

They will go after Pinkel with every single dollar to throw out there, but unless Don James makes a trip to Columbia with a briefcase full of at least $3 million, I'm not sure Pinkel would take it as long as Missouri bumps his salary up over the $2.3mil Mark Mangino makes @ KU (a $500k annual raise).

Also, and possibly more importantly, if you were a 2nd tier Big 12 coach, would you leave for a 3rd tier Pac-10 program? Me neither.

Pat Hill might not be at the top of the list, but he is a very good football coach. He isn't at a BCS program, yet has apparently been very willing to jump for Pac-10 jobs in the past. I think he might be on the short list, and may actually end up with the job if Pinkel or one of the "younger" candidates turn them down.

By younger candidates, first and foremost, Chris Peterson @ Boise St. I would be shocked if the UW didn't send feelers with money attached to him. He's reportedly a low key guy that may not want the spotlight of a Pac-10 job. In many respects, he's the perfect choice. He comes from a well-respected non-BCS program and recruits a great deal in the area. I think he's got to be at the top of the list if he's interested in moving up the ladder at all.

Brian Kelly @ Cincinnati appears to be an amazing football coach given his track record, but he's got zero ties to the region or the program as far as I can tell.

Mike Leach runs a fascinating offense at Texas Tech, and could be a great choice given the one area of strength the Huskies have is Soph. QB Jake Locker.

I still hold out a contention that Jeff Tedford would move from Cal given the right price. I can already hear some here scoffing, but he's not that well paid and even with all the strides Cal's made since he's been there, the UW still has a bigger budget and base of support.

The wildcards would also seem to include USC OC Steve Sarkisian, Missouri OC (and UW alum) Dave Christensen, and former UW asst and current HC @ Montana, Bobby Hauck.

Somehow I think that it will be one of these guys, but there are probably others. Whoever's job it is will have the satisfaction of realizing that it can't really get any worse than it already is. Unfortunately, that's about all the good news they will have to work with.

GTS - yer selling the UW short in regard to Pinkel - UW is a WAY BETTER JOB in every way than Mizzou - not even close

As a UW alum, and general Pac-10 apologist, I ask this question in all seriousness. How is it a better job than Missouri at this point in time. Seriously.

Pinkel will ask for a raise to get at least what Mangino makes, if Missouri balks at that (~30% raise over what he currently gets), he'll obviously go somewhere that will make that kind of commitment. That's the only thing Washington has over a 2nd tier Big 12 program right now is their willingness to pay someone to come in and right the ship.

As a UW alum, and general Pac-10 apologist, I ask this question in all seriousness. How is it a better job than Missouri at this point in time. Seriously.

Pinkel will ask for a raise to get at least what Mangino makes, if Missouri balks at that (~30% raise over what he currently gets), he'll obviously go somewhere that will make that kind of commitment. That's the only thing Washington has over a 2nd tier Big 12 program right now is their willingness to pay someone to come in and right the ship.

no question UW is down, but cmon

Facilities

Recruiting Base

Football Tradition

Seattle is a football town - Mizzou is not, once they go back to mediocrity- Columbia? it is not on the college football radar at all.

Pac 10 >> Big 12

• 4 weeks later...

This when I wore my first dresser shouldn't be on the sideline when the UW makes a trip to Berkeley next weekend (or whenever it is). Shameful display on the field by a poorly coached team, even more shameful was the total denial in the press conference that he has done anything wrong.

This when I wore my first dresser shouldn't be on the sideline when the UW makes a trip to Berkeley next weekend (or whenever it is). Shameful display on the field by a poorly coached team, even more shameful was the total denial in the press conference that he has done anything wrong.

Link?

Any substance to this rumor?

Washington: FootballScoop has learned that Dennis Franchione is one of the leading candidates to replace Tyrone Willingham at Washington. Former president of Louisiana State University and current president of the University of Washington, Mark Emmert, once offered Franchione the head coaching position at LSU.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Link?

To the above? No, it's my opinion and that of several others mentioned all over the place that Willingham should vacate his job now.

Here's what he said after the game on Saturday: “Obviously if you’re the head coach at this time, you take responsibility for what’s going on. But, it should also be noted, the day that I arrived, what the state of the program was.”

They were 1-10 overall and 0-8 in the Pac-10 under Keith Gilbertson in 2004.

Any substance to this rumor?

Washington: FootballScoop has learned that Dennis Franchione is one of the leading candidates to replace Tyrone Willingham at Washington. Former president of Louisiana State University and current president of the University of Washington, Mark Emmert, once offered Franchione the head coaching position at LSU.

Well, first off, here are apparently the facts: they announced a search committee last week for the new football coach. Someone interviewed the offensive coordinator for Notre Dame last week Mike Haywood(??) who was a guy on the staff for Saban @ LSU, though apparently is being relieved of a lot of his duties at ND anyway.

Franchione, I have a feeling he's throwing stuff out there to keep his own name in the mix for any job he can get. Plus he didn't leave A&M under the cleanest of circumstances as I recall (something with boosters???).

As far as rumors go, here's the list of them that I've heard/found:

Will Muschamp was supposedly offered the job last week, but he has apparently been given the keys for the Texas job whenever Mack Brown decides to step down (huh?, he's 57, I don't buy that one iota).

There seems to be some persistence that Jim Mora is going to spurn a $4mil per year gig in the NFL for the UW, which he already said he would not.

Gary Pinkel and Chris Peterson are both supposedly getting new contracts as soon as this week which would take them off the market as well.

There are also rumors that Les Miles is a candidate, which will be roundly rejected by Hat fans here no doubt, but he did interview for the job here in 2004.

Also in SEC land, Tommy Tuberville and Mark Richt's names have been coming up. Though, no substantiality to that whatsoever I imagine.

I finally saw a blog that listed Mike Riley and Jeff Tedford as possibilities.

There are also rumors that Les Miles is a candidate, which will be roundly rejected by Hat fans here no doubt, but he did interview for the job here in 2004.

Yeah the Les Miles to Washington rumor has made it's way down here. The way LSU has been playing of late many Tiger fans are volunteering to help the Miles family with the move to Washington. :wacko:

I know it's not going to happen, but I couldn't blame him if he did take the job considering all the LSU delusional fans that expected somethng great again this season after almost insisting Coach Miles kick QB Ryan Perrilloux off the team this summer despite not having any experience quarterbacks on the roster.

Auburn's AD said $$$ would be no object for them in their coaching search, so I suspect every coach will at least look at the Auburn job.

Leach withdrew his name from contention at Washington. :wacko:

No word on whether or not Michael Crabtree's roommate getting picked up for peddling 50 grams of coke had anything to do with it.

Pat HIll says he's out as well, saying that he wanted an offer before the Bulldogs started bowl game prep, which was today apparently.

Steve Sarkisian seems like the hot name right now.

Leach withdrew his name from contention at Washington. :wacko:

No word on whether or not Michael Crabtree's roommate getting picked up for peddling 50 grams of coke had anything to do with it.

Pat HIll says he's out as well, saying that he wanted an offer before the Bulldogs started bowl game prep, which was today apparently.

Steve Sarkisian seems like the hot name right now.

:D