[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trent Edwards

detlef

I don't think its all edwards fault ...the entire team has taken a crap the past month...LOOK TO THE COACH...how many winning seasons has he ever had? I think ONE and he just got an extension in Buffalo too...umm yep just one winning season : http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/JaurDi0.htm

Fair enough. The problem with not having another QB, is that, in your example, if Brees went down, there is no guarantee there will be any QBs on the WW. Some leagues have teams tat hoard QBs. Others obviously have limits. There are certainly better options out there than Edwards, especially this year. Next year, Id draft Edwards in the later rounds as a QB2 or 3.

Keep in mind that during that argument, the list of guys BB warned you'd be "stuck with" were you not wise enough to secure the services of Edwards was very much the same as the list I gave in my first post here.

As long as I've been playing, I've found that the norm is for teams to carry no more than 2 QBs. I have never been in a league where any more than one or two carried 3. Thus, assuming a league of 12 (obviously not including leagues that start 2 QBs), the worst case scenario of those who don't carry a back up is that they're looking at, maybe the 25th best QB. If that guy is not markedly worse than the 18th or 20th (which numbers rather clearly indicate is the case), then up to half the teams are wasting a roster spot by carrying a 2nd QB. A spot that could be used to address another need, allow them to pick up a one week match-up play on D, something like that.

Now, if you happened to draft a Rivers, Cutler, Rodgers, etc as your QB2 then that's a different situation entirely. Even if you have a guy like Brees as well, you're going to hold on to him because he's significantly better than anyone available so, at very least, you want to keep him off someone's roster and insure that you have a very solid QB in the event that Brees goes down. Hell, those guys are good enough that you may even start them over Brees against the right team. Needless to say, however, Edwards is not Rivers, Cutler, or Rodgers.

umm, why can't we all agree that Edwards earlier in the year looked like he may become a decent spot starter on a matchup play, and has regressed to cutable (this is exactly what I've done with him - lost Brady, picked up the week 2 pu-pu platter and got him either then or the next week. Started him once, considered it a few times but went with Cassel or Pennington those times thankfully, and now going to cut him for one of the three FA guys I'm going after this week (Hill, Hasselback and a third I can't even remember). He was average but trending upward - never did, now horrible for fantasy.

umm, why can't we all agree that Edwards earlier in the year looked like he may become a decent spot starter on a matchup play, and has regressed to cutable (this is exactly what I've done with him - lost Brady, picked up the week 2 pu-pu platter and got him either then or the next week. Started him once, considered it a few times but went with Cassel or Pennington those times thankfully, and now going to cut him for one of the three FA guys I'm going after this week (Hill, Hasselback and a third I can't even remember). He was average but trending upward - never did, now horrible for fantasy.

Because some guys require 20/20 hindsight to show everyone how brilliant they are.

Edwards' performance has waned a bit, no doubt. That concussion seems to have had a long term negative effect in his confidence - at least so far.

Because some guys require 20/20 hindsight to show everyone how brilliant they are.

Edwards' performance has waned a bit, no doubt. That concussion seems to have had a long term negative effect in his confidence - at least so far.

Dude, we were having this conversation last week. The guy was asking whether it was still worth keeping a back-up for Brees and you were saying he's a fool not to and immediately went to Edwards as an example. Listen, if I wasn't set at QB, I might have grabbed him as well. Hell, I thought I hit the gold mine when Jake D fell to me late so I backed Brees up with him and dragged him along for about 6 weeks. Then when it became abundantly clear that 1) Brees would start every week he played 2) Delhomme was putting up very erratic numbers, and 3) My RBs weren't bad enough to drop but Mewelde Moore was going to start and would likely be a better option than any of them, I dropped Jake. If it was Edwards instead, I would have done the same.

The funny thing is, as expected, the second Delhomme cleared waivers, a guy snapped him up. He was even talking trash after he got him 18 pts the first week he had him. Since then? A bye, followed by 3.88 and 8.92.

So, the debate really has nothing to do with clairvoyance or hind sight and everything to do with the fact that BB is unwilling to realize that, as the season progressed, a guy like Edwards was likely not worth wasting a roster spot on.

Edited by detlef

So, the debate really has nothing to do with clairvoyance or hind sight and everything to do with the fact that BB is unwilling to realize that, as the season progressed, a guy like Edwards was likely not worth wasting a roster spot on.

Since we're playing the game of "20/20 hindsight I-told-you-so", I guess it's my turn to bump up the thread this week, huh?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Since we're playing the game of "20/20 hindsight I-told-you-so", I guess it's my turn to bump up the thread this week, huh?

Again, considering that the conversation began after Edwards had already proven that he wasn't all that, I don't see where your 20/20 hindsight bit comes from. At least in my league, we're allowed to waive and pick up players so, once someone illustrates that they're not worth dragging around, we can deal them. You do also know that, even including that 38 pt game, he's still behind both Shawn Hill and Tyler Thigpen in pts per week.

:wacko: Of course, I would call yesterday's performance Edwards providing a kick in the other nut. It's like golf. You've been slicing it all day long (in this case, starting Edwards or at very least wasting a roster spot on him while he's putting up 10 pts per week). Then, you finally decide, screw it, I'm just going aim way left so the ball will end up down the middle (in this case, I'm benching or waiving his ass). Then you finally pure it. Only, this time, you weren't aiming down the middle anymore.

Well, for those with QB situations do dire that they were actually forced to start him, I'm glad you got the points.