[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help on starting a new dynasty league

Whiskey Pimp

A few of us are looking to start a new local dynasty league and are looking for some help/advice on starting one from scratch. It seems to me like there are a variety of ways to set one up from salary caps to yearly contracts, etc. We're just in the very preliminary stages but I'm wondering if any huddlers out there would share their successes and/or failures on their leagues. We're not looking for IDP, just offensive players at this point. We're hoping to make this somewhat simple for all of us to get started and keep involved without being overly complicated. Can anyone help?

If you are planning on going to IDP later on down the line... might I suggest that it would be best to go the full blown Dynasty right out of the gate. Really not that hard to use IDP players even if no one in the league has played with them before and would save headaches later on.

In NORRIS we progressed into a full-blown dynasty over a number of years (keeping a higher percentage of our roster each season). I thought that was a cool way of starting up. If you're interested in that, check out our BOTH forum and/or contact Pope Flick.

Aside from that as a cool way to ease into a full-blown dynasty, I agree with sky that you might want to consider just going all out from from the start with IDP and the whole ball of wax. Mostly because this way you can set up and agree upon all sorts of things for your initial constitution that could become a huge headache to try to add or change later on in the life of the league.

Start it slow and ramp it up - nothing will kill an owner's desire to participate like having a horrible first year. I'd suggest limiting it to 4-5 players the first year, no more than 1 at any given position. This will help each team build up and get some chances to overcome easly mistakes or crucial injuries. I'd also highly recommend auction drafts - they are a TON more fun to participate in and will really reward "good" owners over time rather than the lucky bastard that drafted hot the first season.

I don't think we have any interest in IDP but thanks for letting us know we should just start with them from day 1 if we did plan to add them down the road. I understand the info about starting slow and maybe keeping a few players only in order to not lose owners if they have a very poor start and the auction makes the most sense I think too. So assuming we run an auction, what do those out there recommend having in place for costs to keep players? What kind of budget do you recommend as a whole? How do we keep players for multiple years?