[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When to hold live draft?

Brentastic

So my local big money league always has our draft the Saturday of Labor Day weekend (weekend before the season). This is perfect since at least 6 of our 12 owner league lives out of town. I imagine this practice is fairly standard among other live draft leagues.

So, let's assume the season doesn't start until October. When do you hold the draft? How do you schedule around out-of-towners if there is no 3 day weekend near the start of football. Obviously the biggest/only reason to draft the weekend directly prior to week 1 is to have all the updated injury/free agent information available to the owners. It wouldn't make much sense to have the draft in early September (Labor Day) when free agency and pre-season hasn't been started/completed.

Just trying to brain-storm now to be proactive. I'm getting pissier as the lockout goes on.

The question is if it extends beyond mid-July. If they come around anytime by then, the season is all intact and preseason happens and we'll all just laugh at how silly the whole thing was.

If it extends beyond mid-July, then it becomes a huge deal. Bottom line - the fans are already not happy and many are not buying season tickets. That gets worse and why buy a season ticket if you do not even know for sure what game is when? What games are to be played? Fantasy football has a place in the conversation as well that the NFL would rather not piss off since they comprise some of the most hardcore fans with NFL Sunday ticket and watching all the games.

I'd say make a tentative draft date in late August. If you have to change it, then so be it. But there is still a chance that we'll all be okay and the only players to feel any pinch are the dumber rookies who need more time to absorb new playbooks.

I've heard that if a deal happened by mid August we'd only have 2 preseason games and still start on time. I think the last Sunday in August would be a good day to set for a live draft.