[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Next up? Reggie Bush? More NFL idiocy.

Papa Deuce

So the general consensus in here is that puppies are smarter than human children? We expect puppies to understand but human children are too stupid to get it.

Yes you discipline your children right out of the gate. The early years are the formative years and if you establish a pattern where there are no negative consequences for bad actions then you only have to fight that much harder to reverse that pattern when you finally decide it is appropriate to introduce negative consequences for bad actions. You can't reason with children. You can't be their friend. You have to be the parent. Everyday I see adults that do not know how to make their children of all ages behave ... and that is because they either couldn't be bothered to teach them right from wrong or they are under the mistaken impression that there is some magic age when it is finally appropriate to discipline your children.

My wife and I raised 2 fine children, one graduated from college and one in college. It always amazed me that somebody would exclaim that we were the strictest parents they knew and in the same breath comment how well behaved our children were ... never able to connect the dots. Being a parent is not easy, it is hard work ... I get that many Americans are too lazy to be good parents, or they are too busy with their own lives to be good parents.

I wonder how many of you work in the media ... because I see lots of jumping to conclusions and sensationalism. You equate disciplining a child to "beating a child". Discipline does not always mean corporal punishment. As I have said corporal punishment is only 1 tool in a parent's tool kit, and it is only used as a last resort. Furthermore, corporal punishment isn't "a beating". When my children were 1 they got a swap on the diaper when it was necessary.

In any case I believe we wouldn't have half the problems we have in America if parents would do their jobs ... and part of their jobs is discipline ... and discipline includes corporal punishment at times.

• Like 1

I think each child is different. There are also multiple things being spoken about here. One is hitting or spanking a kid. The other is disciplining them. To say that you need to wait until they are 6 to discipline them seems off to me. I have a 16 month old. He has been learning right and wrong since he was about a month old. He knows what no means. He understands that if he is told no, he is not supposed to do what he is doing. He has also already learned that when he is bad he will lose his toys. I can see when he starts to develop a bad habit. Whether or not it is true overall I don't know, but I read that it takes 3 days to form a bad habit and 7 days of correcting it consistently to correct that bad habit. For my son that seems to be holding true. We have caught ourselves letting him form bad habits and been able to correct them.

Again, every kid and every situation is different, just throwing out my two sense.

Comparing the discipline you use on a dog to a child is so ridiculous. There minds work in completely different ways and they can not be taught in the same fashion. Did you give your child a cookie when they went potty on the paper? Did you teach them to roll over and play dead?

I agree with you on one thing, children need discipline. There is just no reason to ever use corporal punishment. There are plenty of ways to discipline a child without ever laying a hand on them.

Comparing the discipline you use on a dog to a child is so ridiculous. There minds work in completely different ways and they can not be taught in the same fashion. Did you give your child a cookie when they went potty on the paper? Did you teach them to roll over and play dead?

I agree with you on one thing, children need discipline. There is just no reason to ever use corporal punishment. There are plenty of ways to discipline a child without ever laying a hand on them.

Please explain how the concept of disciplining a dog versus a child are different. Both use positive and/or negative reinforcement to encourage/discourage behaviors.

POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT

You reward your dog with a biscuit when they potty on the paper to encourage that behavior.

You reward your child with a cookie when they potty on the toilet.

NEGATIVE REINFORCEMENT

You swat your dog on the nose with a newspaper when he chews on your shoe.

You swat your child on the diaper with your hand when he plays with the plug.

I suppose at this point you are going to tell me they are different because you believe you can sit down with your infant and explain the dos and don'ts and they will get it.

I can't even believe I'm responding to someone asking what the difference between a child and a dog are when it comes to discipline. I'll try and say this without getting technical:

For one, dogs are incapable of communicating verbally. If I tell the dog "if you go potty on the carpet you won't get a biscuit" the dog won't understand. If I tell a toddler "stop throwing a tantrum or you won't get to play with 'X' toy" they will actually understand. They realize through verbal communication that there are consequences to their actions. Break the rules and pay the price. It's amazing how well children learn from that. Not just for their childhood, but it's a lesson that comes in handy as an adult. If I hit them, what message am I teaching them other than to fear me? Oh yeah, I'm teaching them when someone does something that you don't like it is okay to hit them. Don't get what you want? Hell, just beat it out of that person and force them to do your bidding. Something frustrates you? Don't use your head, use physical violence to try and get your way. That's some brilliant parenting methods, you should write a book!

I'll simply say this: I've had zero problems disciplining my children and have never once used any sort of corporal punishment, and that includes smacking them on the diaper.

Please explain how the concept of disciplining a dog versus a child are different. Both use positive and/or negative reinforcement to encourage/discourage behaviors.

The one is a child, the other is a dog.

• Like 1