[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting Priority Influenced by Team Composition

bendrix

I have what I hope is a simple question. Many fantasy teams require 1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1K, and a Defense. My team requires 2QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, and 1D. Conventional wisdom dictates that you load up on RBs and WRs early. I have the #1 pick in a ten team league, and have chosen to take LaDanian.

Here's my question: Does the 2QB requirement (and the addition of a TE) affect the conventional wisdom? Should I take a QB early, and maybe sacrifice a high round WR?

Here's the scoring breakdown in this league:

Passing

TD Pass 4 Every 25 passing yards 1

40+ yard TD pass bonus 2 400+ yard passing game 5

2pt Passing Conversion 2 Interceptions Thrown -1

Rushing

TD Rush 6 2pt Rushing Conversion 2

Every 10 rushing yards 1 40+ yard TD rush bonus 2

100-199 yard rushing game 2 200+ yard rushing game 5

Receiving

TD Reception 6 2pt Receiving Conversion 2

40+ yard TD rec bonus 2 Every 10 receiving yards 1

100-199 yard receiving game 2 200+ yard receiving game 5

Thanks in advance.

I'd think that you'd probably have to focus on QBs in that scenario.

Under that scoring system, QBs have more scoring potential than RBs, but that's normally balanced by the fact that you're only drafting one, so there's plenty of depth at that position. Here, with ten teams, then you're looking at 20 QBs gone before you even get down to bench players. That means that Kurt Warner is a viable starter in your league. I'd say draft for value, but start with QB because that's where your value is.

So maybe go for Manning instead of LaDanian?

946916[/snapback]

I think you'd need to figure out what each one means to you in terms of points per game, but I'd certainly consider it. LT2 may still be a better deal, but it may be more of a close call than it normally is. In any event, I'd think that you'd be hurting yourself less than most people if you were to take Manning that early.

If you haven't already seen it, click on articles and under the 2004 season read the piece on "League Analysis Graphing".

Better than we can tell you, it will help you analyze you're league in terms of how rapidly value depreciates for each position under your scoring system. It's really worth the time it takes, and isn't that hard.

Under that scenario, i would value quaterbacks and running backs equally, both above all other positions. It seems this would make using a tier system even more important. You wouldn't want to pass on a tier 1 QB just to get a tier 2 RB. I'd probably grap two QB's and two RB's in the first 4 rounds.