[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Had a 3 Floyd's gumballhead on draft last night. Very tasty.

Last night was the kickoff event to Cleveland Beer Week.

Lots of great collaboration beers between Ohio breweries.

not to bore you with which ones made what but

The Belgian Double with plums was noteworthy

as was the smoked maple bacon stout

and the wet hopped pale ale from Great lakes and Cellar Rats

and the hellesbock

too many to list.

outstanding night

I will now be selling Deschutes brew starting in January.

The Obsidion stout on nitrogen is excellent. Nice roasty stout you can sink your teeth into. I really like Hop Henge and Hop in the Dark for their IPAs. They are well balanced, interesting beers. I am not at all a fan of the Inversion IPA, Red Chair or Mirror Pond. For standard IPA and Pales, there are significantly better examples on the market. If you can get them, the Black Butte Anniversary and Abyss seasonals are absolutely amazing.

Oskar Blues is now going to be sold in Cleveland. Tonight is a kickoff event. Cask Ten Fidy will be tapped at 6.

As well as having cans of

Dale's Pale Ale

Mama's Little Yella Pils

Old Chub Scotch Ale

G'Knight Imperial Red

Ten Fidy Imperial Stout &

Deviant Dale's IPS

Oskar Blues is now going to be sold in Cleveland. Tonight is a kickoff event. Cask Ten Fidy will be tapped at 6.

As well as having cans of

Dale's Pale Ale

Mama's Little Yella Pils

Old Chub Scotch Ale

G'Knight Imperial Red

Ten Fidy Imperial Stout &

Deviant Dale's IPS

Your first taste of Oskar Blues? You should definitely be in for a treat if you like some big bold beers. I was actually this close to getting a job with them, and they're great people too.

Dales has flavor of a hoppy malty IPA, Deviant Dales = Dales on steroids, Old Chub is like liquid candy and Ten Fidy pours like motor-oil.

Looks like the only one not represented is the Gubna Imperial IPA, but you're not missing much, because they used these sweet bready malts on that one that I don't dig. Doesn't have anything on the rest of their beers.

I actually had a can of one of their beers when visiting my Cousins in FL a few years back. Don't remember which one.

Edit to add: quote from the Facebook page

OK I just got the lowdown on the cask from OB. It's a cask of Smidy. The small beer that's the second runnings from batches of Ten Fidy along with some lactose. It's 4.7% and krausened with G'Knight. TWO brewers from OB will be here to talk about all the beers.

Edited by loaf

• 3 weeks later...

Stuffing my suitcase with plenty of goodies from my trip to Bend. Also got to raise a few with sugar magnolia and her husband. Good folks to be sure and thanks for turning me on to Bend Brewing's Pliney-clone.

On request from one of my managers, I grabbed a Rogue Voodoo Donut.

Also some pricey little collaboration between deschutes and hair of the dog, a black butte XXIV.

Besides that. Some random local IPAs that people had good things to say about.

I've got several hours at PDX later today and plan to drink some laurelwood and grab some more at the Oregon store in the airport.

Edited by detlef

Draft Mag called it one of the best 25 new beers of 2012. They also called it "divisive", lol.

That has pretty much been the consensus from the people I've talked to. You either really love it, or you really hate it (more people than you think fall into the latter category). I almost have to wonder if it isn't being praised just for being different rather than good, but I don't really wanna spend the money to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 4 pack of the Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Rum Cask

Beer aged in Rum Barrels

Smells a lot like rum

Very complex taste, with a nice sweetness added by the rum casks. Also some vanilla

11.99/4 pack

7.4%

Something different to try.

I also got a bomber of the Bruery's 5 Golden Rings

Belgian style ale brewed with pineapple juice and spices.

Cooling now in the fridge

picked up a 6 pack of the Two Brothers Cane and Ebel, red rye with palm sugar. You can taste the hops, malt and sugar throughout. A delicious brew.

I also picked up a bomber of Plank II from Heavy Seas, a dopplebock. Haven't tried it yet.

Same with the Unibroue Grand Reserve 17 - Belgian Strong Ale. Might've been a bad move as I find most of these to be near the undrinkable barleywines I've had.

• Like 1

I went in on a sixer of Westy 12 that's being brought over to my house this evening. Sort of holy grail stuff, so I'm pretty excited.

Expensive at nearly $15 per 11.2 oz bottle, then again, far more rare than most any $35 bottle of wine out there.

Also getting a bottle of Dues Brut de Flanders today. It's a Belgian ale that is bottled still, shipped to Champagne, and then goes through 2ndary fermentation with Champagne yeast in the bottle, riddled, and disgorged like Champagne is. Seems pretty cool. Again, a bit pricey (and more than some actual Champagne that I've been buying), so I doubt I'm going to start offering it at the restaurants, but I figured it's worth a shot.

We're actually having a pizza and bubbles dinner party tonight and it could be a cool addition.

The sixers of Westy are 85 here and available at 2 stores. I'd love to go in but don't think my schedule will allow me to get over to the store.

That's what we're paying. The guy who runs the store that brought most, if not all, that made our market and is getting us the sixer is among those coming for dinner tonight. I'm hoping he brings a bottle to share so I can stash both of mine.

Tried all Deschutes beers on Friday, and have a tasting with the master brewer today with clients. Awesome, awesome stuff. The Abyss is amazing.

Also as part of the new job (the addition of beer) I get to go through Cicerone certification training. Beer Server test to be taken tomorrow, and study groups for the Certified Cicerone test start next week. We just hired a Master cicerone that will lead the study groups. Pretty cool stuff.

Also have some allocated Goose Island Bourbon County coffee stout in bombers if anyone is interested . . . PM me.