[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AT&T authorizes Sunday Ticket Cancellations

dope man

50 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Exactly it was huge news this week because the Twit-in-chief Trump had to toss his BS on the pile. Then more players protested, owners and the NFL backed them up and told Trump to GUMMI BEAR. That made it a big story, in another week or two it will die down.

Very well said.

PS  I read a story about this and it stated that AT&T was not willing to confirm this or give any numbers. Will be interesting to hear any first hand accounts of what happened when you called to cancel.

They canceled mine, no questions asked....all you have to mention is it's due to the players protest of the National Anthem.....didn't argue with me or try to sell me anything else, just took it off my bill!

And I don't think this will pass as quickly as some of you think....I believe it will be similar to the strike of 87, a lot of fans have checked out and it will take a while to get them back....rules will be have to be changed regarding the National Anthem and consequences will have have to be set in place before these fans come back.....they can do that being a private corporation! They can tell players that they have to do their "protest" outside of the playing field on their own time....they can tell players that if they harm the image of the shield by their actions that fines/suspensions will be levied....things will happen when their profit lines and ratings dip!

17 minutes ago, dope man said:

And I don't think this will pass as quickly as some of you think....I believe it will be similar to the strike of 87, a lot of fans have checked out and it will take a while to get them back....rules will be have to be changed regarding the National Anthem and consequences will have have to be set in place before these fans come back.....they can do that being a private corporation! They can tell players that they have to do their "protest" outside of the playing field on their own time....they can tell players that if they harm the image of the shield by their actions that fines/suspensions will be levied....things will happen when their profit lines and ratings dip!

More likely in that scenario they'll go the way of college football where a lot of games the national anthem is played before the teams come out.

• Like 1

Ha. Setting rules that prohibit protests... that would backfire spectacularly.  There would be (yet more false) accusations of "limiting free speech". The media, who would love nothing more than to keep this storyline rolling, would jump on it and steer the decision towards racism in the first paragraph. Microphones would be shoved in players' faces incessantly, many of who will obviously sound off. Trump will send a moronic inflammatory tweet within 5 minutes declaring victory.  Liberals and SJWs would seethe and call for their own boycott.  

Have to let itself burn out.

1 minute ago, colkurtz said:

Ha. Setting rules that prohibit protests... that would backfire spectacularly.  There would be (yet more false) accusations of "limiting free speech". The media, who would love nothing more than to keep this storyline rolling, would jump on it and steer the decision towards racism in the first paragraph. Microphones would be shoved in players' faces incessantly, many of who will obviously sound off. Trump will send a moronic inflammatory tweet within 5 minutes declaring victory.  Liberals and SJWs would seethe and call for their own boycott.  

Free speech does not  pertain to private organizations on their time...

13 minutes ago, dope man said:

Most NFL owners are politically conservative and believe everyone should stand for the anthem.  7 NFL owners donated $1 million dollars each to Trump's inaugural committee.  They stayed out of the anthem issue for as long as they could.  They would have preferred to have ignored the issue and hoped it would have gone away.  But they really had no choice but to respond considering how important the issue is to the players and how important the players are to them.  The owners clearly had planned what their response would be if/when Trump finally attacked.  There was little division among owners this past weekend.  The responses that owners gave were very well written and extremely persuasive.  It is not the owner's responsibility to dictate political views for their players.  

The original European settlers in this country came here because a person could believe whatever they wanted in this country without fear of retribution.  It is so sad that Americans who consider themselves patriotic are so intent on forcing their beliefs on others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, michaelredd9 said:

Most NFL owners are politically conservative and believe everyone should stand for the anthem.  7 NFL owners donated $1 million dollars each to Trump's inaugural committee.  They stayed out of the anthem issue for as long as they could.  They would have preferred to have ignored the issue and hoped it would have gone away.  But they really had no choice but to respond considering how important the issue is to the players and how important the players are to them.  The owners clearly had planned what their response would be if/when Trump finally attacked.  There was little division among owners this past weekend.  The responses that owners gave were very well written and extremely persuasive.  It is not the owner's responsibility to dictate political views for their players.  

The original European settlers in this country came here because a person could believe whatever they wanted in this country without fear of retribution.  It is so sad that Americans who consider themselves patriotic are so intent on forcing their beliefs on others.

Their are always consequences to ones actions...even if the person believes them to put him/her on the side that is right..the commissioner, owners and eventually the players will feel the effect of this decision with their future contracts or league profit sharing....yes, the Pres could and should had said things a different way...but using the National Anthem as a prop in a show was a league wide bad decision!

According to Jesse Benn on Huffpo, white players who do not kneel are white supremacists.  Taking it a step further, Tariq Nasheed is out there stating that anyone who burns their gear over this, or who cancels Sunday Ticket, are suspected white supremacists.  This will not blow over anytime soon.   The usual suspects on both sides are just getting started.

Can we move this over to the tailgate?  This thread has nothing to do with fantasy football.

6 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

NFL didn't allow Dallas to wear patches supporting Dallas police, they sure as hell can force players to stand. 

Weak analogy.  If the players protesting the anthem wanted to wear a patch symbolizing their protest, the league would definitely say no way jose.  The league can't legislate beliefs, behavior, or attitude, but they can definitely say no to using your uniform as a billboard.  If they allowed a patch for the Dallas police, it would open the floodgates for patches for everything.

Edited by michaelredd9

Just now, michaelredd9 said:

Weak analogy.  If the players protesting the anthem wanted to wear a patch symbolizing their protest, the league would definitely say no way jose.  The league can't legislate beliefs, behavior, or attitude, but they can definitely say no to using your uniform as a billboard.

Fair point

The convo has been all over the place, but this thread is no more different than the thread about getting the Sunday Ticket for free or a deal on it....I started it to inform everyone of what they are offering! That's all....but of course the real issue is sensitive to a lot of people...

Just now, dope man said:

The convo has been all over the place, but this thread is no more different than the thread about getting the Sunday Ticket for free or a deal on it....I started it to inform everyone of what they are offering! That's all....but of course the real issue is sensitive to a lot of people...

Convo here is not about a discount, it concerns a political issue.  Those are done over on the tailgate, which is exactly why I rarely post over there.   I know I know, don't click this link if you don't want to read about it...but, like a turd, it'll keep floating to the top of the page for days and weeks to come.

6 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Weak analogy.  If the players protesting the anthem wanted to wear a patch symbolizing their protest, the league would definitely say no way jose.  The league can't legislate beliefs, behavior, or attitude, but they can definitely say no to using your uniform as a billboard.

Lol, private organizations can ABSOLUTELY legislate behavior, attitude and ANYTHING that harms the company's image or the company financially....what world do you live in???? I agree about the uniform and beliefs part though....

2 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Convo here is not about a discount, it concerns a political issue.  Those are done over on the tailgate, which is exactly why I rarely post over there.   I know I know, don't click this link if you don't want to read about it...but, like a turd, it'll keep floating to the top of the page for days and weeks to come.

My original post was to inform....can't help where the convo went....sorry!

1 minute ago, dope man said:

Lol, private organizations can ABSOLUTELY legislate behavior, attitude and ANYTHING that harms the company's image or the company financially....what world do you live in???? I agree about the uniform and beliefs part though....

The Supreme Court might allow an employer to dictate to their employees how to act.  But it is still not the principle on which this country was founded.  Let every man be his own person.  You don't have to agree with someone to respect their right to express their views.  In the words of Evelyn Beatice Hall, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

27 minutes ago, colkurtz said:

The rules are already in place to put an end to the protests.  Contracts can and probably will be terminated for the few that continue to protest once the NFL sees how much money they are going to be losing.  Which can be viewed as conduct detrimental to the league. 

See below...

Every professional player must sign the standard NFL player contract. In it, the player promises as follows:

“To conduct himself on and off the field with appropriate recognition of the fact that the success of professional football depends largely on public respect for and approval of those associated with the game” (Paragraph 2). “ If player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by the Club to adversely affect or reflect on the Club, then the Club may terminate this contract” (Paragraph 11).

This language makes it clear that a team will decide whether a player’s personal conduct adversely affects the club. Since it is a subjective standard, NFL owners have enormous latitude and discretion to fire a player for reasons of conduct.

But that is not all. The collective bargaining agreement negotiated by the players’ union and approved by the players themselves authorizes suspension or termination “for conduct detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football” (Article 46).

2 minutes ago, dope man said:

But the NFL is going to lose either way. Fans are turning off because of the protests but if the NFL makes teams fire protesting players then the fans on the other side of the debate will tune out in disgust.

Plus the NFL was having an issue with audience figures before the protests. With many questioning the quality of the games for one, that's hardly going to improve if you decide to fire a bunch of top players to placate a section of its fanbase.

2 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

The Supreme Court might allow an employer to dictate to their employees how to act.  But it is still not the principle on which this country was founded.  Let every man be his own person.  You don't have to agree with someone to respect their right to express their views.  In the words of Evelyn Beatice Hall, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Yes....but I can't show up for work and force people to listen to me preach about Jesus Christ....that would be fireable if I was asked to stop and continued to push it on people....get where I'm coming from?

1 minute ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

But the NFL is going to lose either way. Fans are turning off because of the protests but if the NFL makes teams fire protesting players then the fans on the other side of the debate will tune out in disgust.

Plus the NFL was having an issue with audience figures before the protests. With many questioning the quality of the games for one, that's hardly going to improve if you decide to fire a bunch of top players to placate a section of its fanbase.

Yeah but I assume there would be an announcement and most would immediately stop kneeling (not that kneeling is actually solving any problems anyways).  The few that refused to stop (think like Kaep or Suggs etc...) would be fired or suspended and that would probably squash it there as no one wants to be suspended etc...

The solution will be to go back to the old days (pre 2009) when the teams remained in the locker room during the anthem, before the NFL decided to go patriotic and get more good will from the public.

As for the patch the Cowboys wanted to wear, completely different as the NFL has very strict guidelines on the uniform, adding patches to the uniform or helmet require their approval, or there are consequences (fines). I don't think anything in the current CBA or NFL contract gives the owners the right to demand players behave a certain way during the anthem. (What about games in London, or Mexico, to the US citizen players have to show respect for those too?)

As for this thread and the "move it to the tailgate reuqest" whatever, move it there and watch it die as most don't bother reading the content there since it shriveled up an died long ago. Maybe that is what the poster wants, but they can simply not read the thread if not interested, or if they find it offensive.