[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioner Advice

act7491

I've got a problem that I need some advice on. Team 1 (3-4 record) offered Team 2 (1-6) his next years 1st and 5th round draft picks for Todd Gurley, James Conner and Tyreek Hill. Team 2 wants to accept it. There are no vetos in our league, all trades are decided by me. Also the default yahoo settings, which we use, allow for draft picks to be traded. I've never been a real fan of it and I've never changed it because no ones ever tried to trade draft picks. Clearly Team 2 is tanking and with this trade the balance of the league will shift dramatically for this year and next. What are your thoughts on vetoing this trade? Should I allow for it to go through or veto it? Thanks.

You did not say if it was a dynasty league with all kept or just some kept or a salary cap league or how this counts next year. Assuming a dynasty sort of league, he is effectively trading what would have been a first, second and maybe third-round pick from this year for a first-round and fifth next year. It is not a good trade for the guy getting picks at all. Is it so egregious that I would deny it? Probably not. All three are injury problems. It is not a balanced trade per se but it isn't terrible in my opinion. But I am not sure what a first and fifth next year could be. Kind of borderline. 

I'd petition the league even if they do not have a say technically. Basically, he is giving three players with Top 50 talent and getting back just one next year.

Regardless of your system Team 2 seems pretty naive.  We're a dynasty league and my son gave up his first 5 draft picks (basically the entire draft, PLUS Engram, to get Lockett).  Basically, he understands that a rookie draft with a 20+ man bench is near useless except maybe the first pick for a known superstar.

If you're in a dynasty league, Team 2 is getting absolutely hosed and will have a worse record next year.  I question how long he'll stay with the league as the token whipping boy.

If you're in a single keeper league, then maybe it's a not awful trade for Gurley or Conner.  But Hill too??  

Do you veto it?  No.  But you might want to have a conversation with the league about what is reasonable.  As the Commish I feel like I am responsible to promote an enjoyable and competitive league for everyone.  Even the guy in last place has a team that, on the right week, could beat the first place team.