[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raiders and the Draft

kpholmes

Despite many other problems, the biggest needs the Raiders showed last season was the defensive back position, and the offensive line. And that is exactly what Al Davis targeted to fix this year.

1.7 - Michael Huff, Safety, Texas

Why did the Raiders choose Huff over Leinart? Al knew deep down they needed help in the defensive backfield much more than he wanted to have a big name quarterback. And Huff can come in and immediately change the backfield around. Running a 4.35, he will fit right in with second year corner Fabian Washington who ran a 4.25 last year. And because of his physical ability, intelligence and aggressive tackler, he will almost certainly win a starting job, and maybe show glimpses of the Raiders safeties from the 70/80's.

2.6 - Thomas Howard, OLB, Texas - El Paso

Al Davis likes speed. Period. Howard runs a 4.45 as a linebacker, which is as safety time, so it was no surprise to anyone in the Raider Nation when this pick was announced. With Danny Clark anchoring the middle of the line, and Kirk Morisson playing the outside after an amazing rookie season, the Raiders have been in search of finding someone else to play the other side of Clark. After converting DE Tyler Brayton to the spot and playing him for a good portion of the season, it became apparent that this was a major need. Expect Howard to easily take this starting job if he does well in training camp.

3.5 - Paul McQuistan, Guard, Weber State

Yes! More offensive lineman! Lord knows Aaron Brooks will need all the help he can get... McQuistan is very strong and very smart. With his long arms and intelligence, he can read the stunts and blitzes well and react quickly to them. With the exception of Robert Gallery, the Raider's offensive lineman play musical chairs every week, so expect him to get his shot to prove his worth.

4.4 - Darnell Bing, Safety, USC

When I refreshed my browser and saw Oakland had made this pick, I was very excited. For once Al is finally addressing the needs rather than going after his favorite offensive playmaker. (Which I'm sure Art Shell had something to do with) Two All-American safeties in one draft for a hurting Raider backfield. The Gods have answered our prayers. Bing is much the opposite of Huff, he is heavier and slower, but his hits are much more punishing. His physical ability will play a major roll in stopping the run game, and he has excellent hands to make the pick. Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Oakland Raiders S Darnell Bing will play linebacker for the team. Bing's mediocre speed is better suited for the new position. He'll just need to fill out a bit.

6.7 - Kevin Boothe, Offensive Tackle, Cornell

Very strong and well built tackle, great size at 315 LBs. Great in the running game, with quick feet and the ability to lead block on pulls. Terrible technique however, something he will have to work a lot on. Not an amazing pick, but a good prospect to help solidify that young offensive line that has had some trouble.

7.6 - Chris Morris, Center, Michigan State

All American candidate, started as Michigan State's center for 3 seasons, so durability won't be an issue. 305 Lbs, very physical and aggressive. Will probably play some center and also move around at Guard a bit too because of his physicality and athleticism. Again, the Offensive Line picture in Oakland is very unclear now because of how many people have been throw into the mix, and released from it.

7.47 - Kevin McMahan, WR, Maine

6'2", very physical receiver. Don't expect to see too much of his name called though, as he is competing with Moss, Porter, Gabrial and Curry. Maybe some special team action this year.

Not to mention he's Mr. Irrelevant.

Finally, things are starting to look up for the Raider Nation, with good intelligent picks addressing the right needs.

Will update the rest as they come, and also when I get the time.

Edited by kpholmes

Finally, things are starting to look up for the Raider Nation, with good intelligent picks addressing the right needs.

Will update the rest as they come, and also when I get the time.

1445153[/snapback]

I'm thinking you may want to change your avatar though... :D

I'm thinking you may want to change your avatar though... :D

1445162[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't know if Young is going to be a raider...

I was wrong on Bing in the secondary. The Raiders are going to have him bulk up and play linebacker... Not a bad choice. Urlacher and Barnett have shown that the transition can be made quickly.

I was wrong on Bing in the secondary.  The Raiders are going to have him bulk up and play linebacker...  Not a bad choice.  Urlacher and Barnett have shown that the transition can be made quickly.

1445178[/snapback]

Where'd ya hear that?

I'd much rather leave him in the secondary...

Big winner = Andrew Walter ...

1445184[/snapback]

He has a hugh arm and the front office seems to love him. I thought he was going to break out at ASU every season, but he never could put it all together... Maybe he can do it in Oakland in the next few years. He's got the weapons to do so.

http://football14.myfantasyleague.com/2005...ID=200604301312

(KFFL) Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Oakland Raiders S Darnell Bing will play linebacker for the team.

(Rotoworld) The Raiders view fourth-round pick Darnell Bing as a linebacker.Impact: A strong safety in college, Bing's mediocre speed is better suited for the new position. He'll just need to fill out a bit.

http://football14.myfantasyleague.com/2005...ID=200604301312

(KFFL) Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports Oakland Raiders S Darnell Bing will play linebacker for the team.

(Rotoworld) The Raiders view fourth-round pick Darnell Bing as a linebacker.Impact: A strong safety in college, Bing's mediocre speed is better suited for the new position. He'll just need to fill out a bit.

1445213[/snapback]

Where would he play? Inside? Clark is getting old, would he replace him? He probably wouldn't play until next season, but that will be a solid, young LB corps if he can make the transition successfully.

Where would he play? Inside? Clark is getting old, would he replace him? He probably wouldn't play until next season, but that will be a solid, young LB corps if he can make the transition successfully.

1445267[/snapback]

Good breakdown of the picks. I am very happy they went after Defense and O-Line so strong. This could be a sign of Al Davis actually listenign to a Head Coaches draft advice.

Good breakdown of the picks. I am very happy they went after Defense and O-Line so strong. This could be a sign of Al Davis actually listenign to a Head Coaches draft advice.

1445431[/snapback]

Vatican, you and I have said it from the day Norv was let go, Art Shell is one of the few coaches in Raider history that knows how to play Al Davis' game.

I think that can be very apparent to everyone here with this draft.

Leinart would have been a Davis pick.

Huff was an Art Shell pick, who Davis approved of because of his 40 time.

1445267[/snapback]

Bing would most likely play the Weakside-Linebacker because if he switches to LB he has very good speed for the position (4.55) but little experience. Clark is 29-30 so he still has a few more years left in him, plus you normally need your most experienced/leader types in the middle. Plus since Bing would be making a switch, he would have a bit of a learning curve before he could start. At 6-2, 228 I think he's not to far away from filling out to play the position though (probably just needs 5 to 10lbs).

After today I suspect our current starters at LB will be

WLB Thomas Howard (06 - 2nd rounder)

MLB Danny Clark

SLB Kirk Morrison (05 - 3rd rounder)

With Sam Williams and Darnell Bing as our primary OLB backups.

In the not to far future I suspect our starters will be

WLB Darnell Bing (06 - 4th rounder)

MLB Kirk Morrison

SLB Thomas Howard

I love our pickups of Huff and Bing but I think the real gem of the draft will be Howard...the guy is intense and can be a relentless blitzer. He just needs to work on recognizing the play and not being overaggressive. The WLB position normally entails less responsibility so he should be able to start right away at that position.

Edited by Return Of S&B

Bing would most likely play the Weakside-Linebacker because if he switches to LB he has very good speed for the position (4.55) but little experience.  Clark is 29-30 so he still has a few more years left in him, plus you normally need your most experienced/leader types in the middle.  Plus since Bing would be making a switch, he would have a bit of a learning curve before he could start.  At 6-2, 228 I think he's not to far away from filling out to play the position though (probably just needs 5 to 10lbs).

After today I suspect our current starters at LB will be

WLB Thomas Howard (06 - 2nd rounder)

MLB Danny Clark

SLB Kirk Morrison (05 - 3rd rounder)

With Sam Williams and Darnell Bing as our primary OLB backups.

In the not to far future I suspect our starters will be

WLB Darnell Bing (06 - 4th rounder)

MLB Kirk Morrison

SLB Thomas Howard

I love our pickups of Huff and Bing but I think the real gem of the draft will be Howard...the guy is intense and can be a relentless blitzer.  He just needs to work on recognizing the play and not being overaggressive.  The WLB position normally entails less responsibility so he should be able to start right away at that position.

1445617[/snapback]

:D

Great post S&B.

I think both LB pictures are accurate for now, and the future. As exciting as it would be to see Bing play LB in afew years... I would love to watch him play safety with Schweigert and especially Huff right now. But I still think he could make a good OLB. Fast enough to get some good blitzs.

And you're right about Howard, he will be this years Morisson for us, who led all rookies in tackles last year.

Thinks are starting to look very good for the Raider Nation.

:D

Great post S&B.

I think both LB pictures are accurate for now, and the future. As exciting as it would be to see Bing play LB in afew years... I would love to watch him play safety with Schweigert and especially Huff right now. But I still think he could make a good OLB. Fast enough to get some good blitzs.

And you're right about Howard, he will be this years Morisson for us, who led all rookies in tackles last year.

Thinks are starting to look very good for the Raider Nation.

1445631[/snapback]

Yeah, I haven't felt this good after a draft in a long time. All good, solid players. I hate Kiper, and don't give him credit for a single thign, but his "C+' grade was amusing in that he faults them for not addressing their needs at RB and DL, which are 2 of the spots they DIDN'T need help with. We are going to have a good, solid young O-Line for years to come and Jordan is going to excell behind it.

Yeah, I haven't felt this good after a draft in a long time. All good, solid players. I hate Kiper, and don't give him credit for a single thign, but his "C+' grade was amusing in that he faults them for not addressing their needs at RB and DL, which are 2 of the spots they DIDN'T need help with. We are going to have a good, solid young O-Line for years to come and Jordan is going to excell behind it.

1446057[/snapback]

Same feelings as you man,

For the first time in a long time I'm feeling great about the draft, and enjoying telling all my buddies how well the Raiders did drafting.

Something that doesn't come along very often.

And we've got great depth at DL and RB, so screw Kiper.

Besides, Mike Mayock liked the picks and thats all that really matters.

Edited by kpholmes