[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carson Palmer or Julius Jones

JetFanMike

OK -- after much thought I've got my lineup decided except for our bonus "offensive player" position. So I get the strange choice between two players who are NOT easy to compare. Would you start Carson Palmer or Julius Jones? Here are my thoughts (feel free to skip them!) ..I'd appreciate yours.

Palmer looked mediocre last week -- but probably wasn't as bad as his stats line -- he did throw for 240 yards in a low scoring game and one of his two interceptions was a Hail Mary at the end of the game. His mobility is still limited, but he's got a nice arm and solid receivers. The Packers are a tough, but not horrible, matchup for him; and he will probably have to try and throw to keep the Bengals in the game. I could see him getting an extra 100 yards and a TD late against a prevent defense. On the negative side, interceptions are bad, and the Packers got four of them last week against Jay Cutler. (I don't recall them being ballhawks from last season). But unless he DOES throw a lot of INT's, QB's tend to score more than RB's (standard scoring, no PPR).

Jones looked strong last week -- but he was not as good as his stats line. Other than his 62-year TD run, he got 55 yards and averaged 3 yards a carry against the (ugh) Rams. And he gave up a lot of carries to Edge and Forsett. If that percentage stays the same and the Seahawks DON'T run as much, JJ might not get enough carries to get me high numbers. The matchup is middleof-the-pack -- the 49'ers were below average against the run last run, but a lot of that was early in the season when they were getting blown out. They got better late in the year when they were more competitive, and Mike SIngletary has obviously made a difference. And they did a great job last week against the Cardinals rushing attack (Hightower caught a ridiculous number of passes out of the backfield, but I can't imagine JJ doing the same).

So... start Carson Palmer or Julius Jones? What do you think? Thanks.

With standard scoring, I think the edge goes to the QB.

I think in this case ( and probably most of the time) you go with a QB instead of a RB. I think the opportunity for points is much greater for Palmer because you know GB will score points and Cincy will have to throw the ball. SF defense should have a decent day against the run so I would roll with Palmer.