[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unbelievable Triumph

rajncajn

It seems like every year you hear of at least one rookie who beat the odds of his childhood, his upbringing and/or defeated his own demons to become a great person, a great 'story' and even more importantly a great inspiration to others who cling to the hope that they may also somehow make something of themselves rather than fall into the dregs of society. Last year Michael Ohr was the big story and along with it a movie deal.

This year I've heard another story, one of the Saints 3rd round TE pick, Jimmy Graham. To be honest I had no idea who the guy was. When I'd heard how little experience he'd had & what little he'd seemingly done with it I was a bit worried the Saints had blown the pick. But after reading this article I was absolutely floored at what this kid, and I'm sure many others, have to endure just to make it in life and the sheer determination they have shown to do so as well as how far just a little support from someone can go. Football skills aside, after reading it I had little doubt the Saints had made more than the right choice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-g...toughness040810

TE prospect adept at overcoming obstacles

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports Apr 8, 12:57 pm EDT

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The muscles in Jimmy Graham’s sculpted neck and shoulders clench as his face gets darkly serious. As Graham sits in a restaurant roughly a mile from the University of Miami, where he played tight end last year after a four-year career there in basketball, he is getting ready to block.

The memories of his mother’s mistreatment of him, that is.

“I laugh when people say, ‘Oh, he’s a basketball player, let’s see if he’s tough enough [for the NFL],’ ” Graham said following a workout last Thursday. Earlier in the day, Graham met with Cleveland Browns tight ends coach Steve Hagen, one of many NFL types to take interest in him of late. “They don’t understand what I’ve been through.”