[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Great Firewall of China

evil_gop_liars

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

from a friend on facebook: "This is how bad SOPA is: if it goes through as written and signed into law, if you record yourself singing a Michael Jackson song and post it on Youtube, you can be prosecuted and sent to jail for 5 years. It turns out if you actually KILL Michael Jackson, you only have to go to jail for 4 years. THAT'S how bad this bill is."

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have a question. This statement:

"It's not a good thing. I understand the goal of what SOPA and PIPA are trying to do," Schmidt said of the Senate counterpart bill, the Protect IP Act. "Their goal is reasonable, their mechanism is terrible. They should not criminalize the intermediaries. They should go after the people that are violating the law."

seems to me to say "if you're a fence / enabler for piracy, they shouldn't go after you". Don't we treat fences in physical crimes as criminals? Is this different?

• 2 weeks later...

So I keep hearing this:

Some have asserted that the controversial measures would criminalize pages and blogs that link to foreign websites dedicated to online piracy.

and I keep wondering why a blog of any political persuasion would link to a pirate software site. I'm not a fan of any Internet restriction but this argument is a crock of poo.

So I keep hearing this:

and I keep wondering why a blog of any political persuasion would link to a pirate software site. I'm not a fan of any Internet restriction but this argument is a crock of poo.

Here's a good article on SOPA

SOPA legislation however, just like sister-bill Protect IP, is written in very broad, vague terms, meaning even sites that use song clips, or create GIFs using scenes from copyrighted movies, could potentially be forced to remove the content or be shut down entirely.

Such sweeping legislation affects almost every share-content site on the Internet today, especially in Tumblr accounts and sites like reddit.com.

• 3 weeks later...