[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IR Deadline?

Jumbie

Okay, I should know this...been a fan for 35 years...but I don't. When do teams need to declare that they are placing a player on IR? Is it at the time that they pare down to the 53 man roster, or sooner? As the subtitle of this post suggests, I am wondering what decision the Bears will make about Grossman, and when they need to make it.

Thanks in advance.

There is no "deadline" to declare a player for IR. It can happen anytime. Most teams do it to free up a roster spot, since once you are placed on IR you no longer count as an active player. Cuts start after this weekends games, but it does not get down to 53 until after the last pre-season game.

So, in theory, the Bears could just wait and see what happens with other roster spots...even through the course of the season...before they decide whether to place him on IR? Actually, come to think of it, that rings a bell to me...wow, a moment of clarity!

Yes. They could wait and see how his rehab is going and make the decision as to whether he will even be capable of playing this season. The problem is that if the team has a lot of injuries, especially at one position, that roster spot Grossman is occupying could become very valuable. Sometimes guys are put on IR with injuries that are not necessarily season-ending, just so the team can use the roster spot.

The Bears are leaning toward placing QB Rex Grossman on injured reserve after surgery to repair his broken left ankle also required work on his fibula, the Chicago Tribune reports. With injuries at other positions like fullback and tight end, the Bears might not be in position to save a spot for Grossman on the 53-man roster.